Michigan center Josh Moore said that the Wolverines wanted to give Oakland its own “night to remember” after the devastating season-opening loss the Wolverines surrendered to the Golden Grizzlies a year ago.

Michigan”s memories of that game served as the fundamental reason why it prevailed this time around. Several players emphatically stated that they were “so much more prepared” than last year, when they were under the guidance of Brian Ellerbe.

“We just had a lot better game plan,” Moore said.

It”s no secret that Oakland relies heavily on its 3-point shooting, and it was behind the arc where the Grizzlies repeatedly dug Michigan a hole last year from which it couldn”t get out.

Oakland sixth-year senior forward Dan Champagne remembers how surprised he was when Michigan continued to leave shooting guard Jason Rozycki open last year, as the sharpshooter lit up the Wolverines for 32 points.

“They just kept letting him find his corner and never found him,” Champagne said. “Why would they do that?”

Michigan coach Tommy Amaker wasn”t in Rochester Hills a year ago, but made defending the 3-point shot the “No. 1 priority.” Michigan held the Grizzlies to a dismal 4-13 performance (Rozycki was 2-6) from behind the arc and 44 percent from the field. Michigan senior tri-captain Chris Young attributed much of that to the Wolverines” highly-concentrated focus in practice this past week.

“I don”t remember shooting the ball too much,” said a smiling Young. “All we did was defense, defense and more defense.”

Oakland coach Greg Kampe also noticed an entirely different Michigan team from a year ago.

“We can”t simulate that type of intensity in practice or exhibitions,” Kampe said. “And they just came at us hard and we weren”t ready for it.”

One-shot wonder: Another person who wasn”t quite ready was Mike Gotfredson, who waited a little bit before draining a wide-open 3-pointer late in the second half to halt an Oakland comeback. It was his only attempt of the game and the second-career field goal for the gun-shy fifth-year senior.

But Amaker said there was “no shot more important in the game” as it ignited a late 9-3 run for Michigan that helped it put the Grizzlies away.

“He got the ball, looked down, looked at the line, and the whole time we were all yelling at him to shoot,” Young said. “But he stepped up big.”

Check the line: Two staples in last year”s starting lineup, Bernard Robinson and Avery Queen, were not included in Friday”s starting five of Gotfredson, Gavin Groninger, Leon Jones, Young and LaVell Blanchard. Amaker insisted that those “who deserve it” will start, and neither Queen nor Robinson said they knew the reason they didn”t.

Both entered the game five minutes in, but Queen played just six minutes in the second half and was replaced by Gotfredson down the stretch. Meanwhile Blanchard logged 36 minutes for the Wolverines on the night.

Charity: Michigan”s two stars, Blanchard and Robinson, led the team in turnovers with four and six, respectively, sparking a disappointed Amaker to state: “They are two of our best players and have to care for the ball better.”

Notes: The announced attendance of 11,030 was more like 6,500 but the “Maize Rage” packed the student bleachers Nine Wolverines played more than 14 minutes, highlighting Amaker”s fixation on substitution Video clips from Michigan”s 1989 Final Four victory over Illinois graced the Crisler Arena scoreboard during halftime and drew an ovation from the crowd.