SAO PAULO, Brazil

Amid protest, Bush begins tour of Latin America

President Bush sought to reverse an impression of U.S. neglect as he opened a six-day tour of Latin America yesterday. Street protests awaited him.

Bush’s trip was intended to promote democracy, increased trade and cooperation on alternative fuels. The president and his advisers also hoped his visit would offset the growing influence of leftist leaders, such as Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez.

As he flew here on Air Force One, Bush’s national security adviser brushed aside Chavez’s provocations. “The president is going to do what he’s been doing for a long time: talk about a positive agenda,” said Stephen Hadley.

Thousands of students, environmentalists and other protesters, some waving communist flags, gathered in the business district of South America’s largest city ahead of Bush’s arrival. And in the southern city of Porto Alegre, more than 500 people yelled “Get Out, Imperialist!” as they burned an effigy of Bush outside a Citigroup Inc. bank branch.

WASHINGTON

Gingrich had affair during Clinton impeachment

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

“The honest answer is yes,” Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired today, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. “There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There’s certainly times when I’ve fallen short of God’s standards.”

WASHINGTON

Dems vow to pass Iraq pullout; veto threatened

House Democratic leaders vowed yesterday to pass legislation setting a deadline of Sept. 1, 2008, for the withdrawal of U.S. combat troops from Iraq, a challenge to President Bush’s war policy that drew a blunt veto threat in return.

“It would unnecessarily handcuff our generals on the ground, and it’s safe to say it’s a nonstarter for the president,” said White House spokesman Dan Bartlett.

Little more than two months after Democrats took control of the House and Senate, Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California said the bill would set “dates certain for the first time in the Congress for the redeployment of our troops out of Iraq.”

MIDLAND, Mich.

School shooter had stopped taking medication

The 17-year-old who shot his ex-girlfriend outside her school before killing himself had bipolar disorder and recently had stopped taking his medications, his mother said.

Marie Turner, the mother of David Turner, told the Midland Daily News that her son suffered from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and struggled with anger and depression. He also saw his father die of a heart attack in 2002.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports