Harbor Springs, Mich.

Macomb man suspected of killing wife captured

Wearing neither coat nor shoes, a fugitive suspected of killing and dismembering his wife was found hiding under a fallen tree yesterday in a snowbound state park after a bitterly cold night on the run, authorities said.

A police posse tracked down Stephen Grant about 225 miles north of the suburban Detroit community where body parts believed to be those of his wife were discovered. He was being treated for frostbite and hypothermia under police guard at a nearby hospital.

Grant was wearing only slacks, a shirt and socks when captured – nearly 10 hours after he abandoned the truck he had driven and set out on foot in Wilderness State Park near the tip of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula, Emmet County Sheriff Pete Wallin said.

Selma, Ala.

Clinton, Obama pay homage to civil rights activists

Presidential candidates Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton crossed campaign paths for the first time yesterday as they paid homage to civil rights activists who they said helped give them the chance to break barriers to the White House.

The two candidates and former President Clinton, making his first appearance with his wife since her campaign began, linked arms with activists who 42 years ago were attacked by police with billyclubs during a peaceful voting rights march. “Bloody Sunday” shocked the nation and helped bring attention to the racist voting practices that kept blacks from the polls.

“I’m here because somebody marched for our freedom,” Obama, who would become the first black president, said from the Brown Chapel AME Church where the march began on March 7, 1965. “I’m here because you all sacrificed for me. I stand on the shoulders of giants.”

Beijing

U.S. to China: Explain defense budget hike

A top U.S. envoy yesterday urged China to be more open about its military spending, hours after the government announced a 17.8 percent increase in its defense budget – the biggest in more than a decade.

The $44.9 billion budget for 2007 would mainly be spent on higher wages and living allowances for members of the armed forces and on upgrading armaments “in order to enhance the military’s ability to conduct defensive operations,” Jiang Enzhu, a spokesman for China’s national legislature, said at a news conference. He did not give any details.

China’s 2.3 million-strong military is the world’s largest and has been criticized abroad for not being open about its spending. Unlike the U.S., where Congress is required to approve the military budget, China’s military is extremely secretive and rarely releases information on its spending.

Barikaw, Afghanistan

Afghans say U.S. fired on civilians after suicide bomb

An explosives-rigged minivan crashed into a convoy of Marines that U.S. officials said also came under fire from militant gunmen yesterday. As many as 10 people were killed and 34 wounded as the convoy made a frenzied escape, and injured Afghans said the Americans fired on civilian cars and pedestrians as they sped away.

U.S. officials said militant gunfire may have killed or injured civilians, but Afghanistan’s Interior Ministry and wounded Afghans said most of the bullets were American. Hundreds of angry Afghans protested near the blast site, denouncing the U.S. presence here.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports