Berlin
Rice: U.S., Europe and Russia ready to bargain with Iran

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said yesterday the United States, European and Russian diplomats have a common goal to encourage Iran back to the bargaining table over its disputed nuclear program.

“We reconfirmed we will use available channels and the Security Council to try to achieve that goal,” the top U.S. diplomat said. Rice spoke following a breakfast meeting with her counterparts from Germany, Russia and the European Union.

The group reviewed Iran’s compliance with a U.N. Security Council demand that it stop enriching uranium, a key step toward producing either nuclear power or a nuclear weapon.

Baghdad
More rape charges leveled at Iraqi troops

Four Iraqi soldiers have been accused of raping a 50-year-old Sunni woman and the attempted rape of her two daughters in the second allegation of sexual assault leveled against Iraqi forces this week, an official said yesterday.

Brig. Gen. Nijm Abdullah said the attack allegedly occurred about 10 days ago in the northern city of Tal Afar during a search for weapons and insurgents.

A lieutenant and three enlisted men denied the charge but later confessed after they were confronted by the woman, a Turkoman. Abdullah said a fifth soldier suspected something was wrong, burst into the house and forced the others at gunpoint to stop the assault.

Washington
Obama asked to apologize for comments of mogul

The rival presidential campaigns of Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama traded accusations of nasty politics yesterday over Hollywood donor David Geffen, who once backed Bill Clinton but now supports his wife’s top rival.

The Clinton campaign demanded that Obama denounce comments made by the DreamWorks movie studio founder, who told New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd in yesterday’s editions that while “everybody in politics lies,” the former president and his wife “do it with such ease, it’s troubling.”

The Clinton camp also called on Obama to give back Geffen’s $2,300 contribution.

Campaigning in Iowa, Obama refused.

“It’s not clear to me why I’d be apologizing for someone else’s remark,” the Illinois senator said.

San Jose, Calif.
Cisco, Apple, settle iPhone name dispute

Cisco Systems Inc. and Apple Inc. have agreed to share the “iPhone” name, but both companies are staying tightlipped about what future products might come from the resulting deal to collaborate on “interoperability” between the companies’ products.

Analysts said the settlement announced late yesterday in Cisco’s trademark-infringement lawsuit could help both companies strengthen their positions in the increasingly fierce battle to deliver video and other applications directly to consumers’ homes.

Zeus Kerravala, a network infrastructure analyst with Yankee Group, said there are ample opportunities for the companies to dream up collaborative projects to win over consumers.

One possibility, he said, could be a device from Cisco’s Linksys division that users call into to record podcasts that are then automatically uploaded to iTunes.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports