DEWANA, INDIA

Train bombing kills 66 in India

Leaders of India and Pakistan pressed ahead yesterday with their peace process, hours after twin bombs – apparently intended to disrupt their relations – sparked a fire that killed 66 people aboard a train that links the two rivals.
The fire destroyed two coaches on the Samjhauta Express, about an hour after the train left New Delhi on its way to the Pakistan border. Officials said the attack was timed ahead of the arrival of Pakistani Foreign Minister Khursheed Kasuri, who is expected today in the Indian capital.
“This is an attempt to derail the improving relationship between India and Pakistan,” Railway Minister Laloo Prasad told reporters.

FRANKFURT, GERMANY

Speculation on Chrysler’s fate drives up stock

With DaimlerChrysler AG putting all options on the table for its struggling U.S. unit, the auto industry is pondering the fate of Chrysler and whether its parent will jettison a brand that critics say has dulled the sheen of the legendary Mercedes marquee.
Speculation about potential partners, or even a buyer, jumping in to use Chrysler’s expansive parts and dealership network to gain entry to the U.S. market has ranged from a tie-up with Nissan and Renault to talk of a link with Hyundai to a homegrown deal with General Motors.
The possibilities have driven DaimlerChrysler shares up by 12 percent since it first said it was mulling all options for the Chrysler Group. Yesterday they gained almost 4 percent more to 56.26 euros ($73.88) in German trading, their highest level since July 2001.
DaimlerChrysler has kept mum since announcing last week that it had not ruled out any options for Chrysler – which, until a year ago, had kept the world’s fifth-largest automaker profitable amid quality issues at the Mercedes Car Group.

BAGHDAD

Attack on U.S. military base kills two soldiers

Insurgents staged a bold daylight assault against a U.S. combat post north of the capital yesterday – first striking with a suicide car bombing, then firing on soldiers pinned down in a former Iraqi police station. At least two soldiers were killed and 17 wounded, the military said.
Elsewhere, three U.S. soldiers were killed and two were wounded in a roadside bombing southwest of Baghdad yesterday, the U.S. military said. The military also announced the deaths of three Marines and one soldier since Saturday while conducting combat operations in the western province of Anbar.
The head-on attack north of Baghdad was notable for both its tactics and target. Sunni insurgents have mostly used hit-and-run ambushes, roadside bombs or mortars on U.S. troops and avoided direct assaults on fortified military compounds to avoid U.S. firepower.
It also appeared to fit a pattern emerging among the suspected Sunni militants: trying to hit U.S. forces harder outside the capital rather than confront them on the streets during a massive American-led security operation.

NEW YORK

JetBlue flights canceled again

Low cost fares, quirky blue potato chips and even a mea culpa from JetBlue Airways’ founder may not be enough to ease passenger anxiety yesterday as the airline braces for another day of disrupted flights.
The company said it would be canceling almost a quarter of the day’s flights but hopes to be fully operational today, almost a week after a Valentine’s Day snowstorm created a meltdown for the airline.

– Compiled from
Daily wire reports