Mogadishu, Somalia

Ethiopian forces under attack in Somali capital

Gunmen attacked Ethiopian troops supporting the Somali government yesterday, witnesses said, in the second straight day of violence in a city struggling to emerge from more than a decade of chaos.

The unrest comes at a precarious time for Somalia’s transitional administration, which is trying to assert some control for the first time in a capital that has seen little more than chaos in the 15 years since clan warlords toppled a dictatorship and then turned on each other.

Gaza City, Gaza Strip

Fatah holds massive rally in Gaza, sends message to Hamas

Tens of thousands of Fatah supporters packed Gaza’s main soccer stadium yesterday in a show of strength to boost the movement in its increasingly violent struggle against the Islamic militant group Hamas.

The demonstration came as masked Fatah gunmen released a video of a kidnapped Hamas official, threatening to expand attacks against Hamas if it rejects calls to disband its militia in the Gaza Strip.

Fatah and Hamas have been locked in a bloody struggle for control of the Palestinian government since the Islamic group won parliamentary elections last year. The victory ended four decades of Fatah political domination, though the group still controls the powerful Palestinian presidency.

Yesterday’s gathering was the largest Fatah demonstration in Gaza since 1994.

Warsaw, Poland

Polish archbishop quits over ties to communist-era secret police

Warsaw’s new archbishop abruptly resigned yesterday over revelations that he cooperated with Poland’s communist-era secret police, stunning worshippers by sadly yielding the archbishop’s throne just minutes before he was to be formally installed.

To cries of “No, no!” and “Stay with us!” in and outside St. John’s Cathedral, a despondent Stanislaw Wielgus read from a letter to Pope Benedict XVI in which he offered his resignation “after reflecting deeply and assessing my personal situation.”

The Vatican said Wielgus’ past actions had “gravely compromised his authority” as one of the top church officials in this deeply Roman Catholic country.

London

Israeli foreign ministry rejects claim it will use nukes against Iran

A British newspaper reported yesterday that Israel has drafted plans to strike as many as three targets in Iran with low-yield nuclear weapons, aiming to halt Tehran’s uranium enrichment program. The Israeli Foreign Ministry denied the report.

Citing multiple unidentified Israeli military sources, The Sunday Times said the proposals involved using so-called “bunker-buster” nuclear weapons to attack nuclear facilities at three sites south of the Iranian capital.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports

Notable Numbers

37

The number of pet rats found aboard a California resident’s 29-foot sailboat yesterday, The Associated Press reported. The man, who lived on the boat, had been found in June living with 1,300 rats in a one-bedroom house.