London
Scotland Yard treats former spy’s death as murder

Scotland Yard said yesterday it is treating the death of former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko as murder.

The announcement came nearly two weeks after Litvinenko died in a London hospital; the rare radioactive substance polonium-210 was found in his body. Scotland Yard detectives are in Moscow as part of the widening investigation into his death.

“Detectives … have reached the stage where it is felt appropriate to treat it as an allegation of murder,” the Metropolitan Police said. “It is important to stress that we have reached no conclusions as to the means employed, the motive or the identity of those who might be responsible for Mr. Litvinenko’s death.”

Earlier yesterday, Mario Scaramella, the Italian security expert who met with Litvinenko on Nov. 1, the day the former agent fell ill, was released from a London hospital after showing no signs of radiation poisoning.

Cape Canaveral, Fla.
Clouds may delay tonight’s space shuttle launch

Clouds of concern gathered for tonight’s liftoff of the space shuttle Discovery as NASA downgraded launch chances to 40 percent due to weather.

“The forecast has trended for the worse right now,” said Kathy Winters, shuttle weather officer.

An expected cloud ceiling at 3,000 feet was the biggest obstacle for getting Discovery off the ground at 9:35 p.m. today.

NASA won’t launch with low clouds because officials want to track it visually and allow enough visibility in case the astronauts need to make a difficult emergency landing at the Kennedy Space Center’s runway.

South plainfield, N.J.
Taco Bell pulls green onions after E. coli outbreak

Taco Bell ordered scallions removed from its 5,800 U.S. restaurants yesterday after tests suggested they may be responsible for the E. coli outbreak that has sickened at least three dozen people in three states.

The fast-food chain said preliminary testing by an independent lab found three samples of green onions appeared to have a dangerous strain of the bacterium.

“In an abundance of caution, we’ve decided to pull all green onions from our restaurants until we know conclusively whether they are the cause of the E. coli outbreak,” said Greg Creed, president of Irvine, Calif.-based Taco Bell.

Merlin, Ore.
Missing man found dead in Oregon mountains

A San Francisco man who got stranded in the snowy wilderness with his family nearly two weeks ago was found dead yesterday in a mountain creek, authorities said.

James Kim’s body was discovered about seven miles from his car in Oregon’s snowy Klamath Mountains, two days after his wife and two daughters were rescued from the vehicle, stuck on a remote road. Kim had set out on foot over the weekend to find help.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports