Bush, Putin fail to reach agreement on defense system

SOCHI, Russia

President Bush and Russian President Vladimir Putin failed to overcome sharp differences over a U.S. missile defense system, closing their seven-year relationship yesterday still far apart on an issue that has separated them from the beginning.

“Our fundamental attitude toward the American plan has not changed,” Putin said at a news conference with Bush at his vacation house at this Black Sea resort. “We got a lot of way to go,” Bush said. Despite the impasse, the two leaders agreed that Moscow and Washington would work together closely in the future on missile defense and other difficult issues.

Bush also conferred with Putin’s hand-picked successor, Dmitry Medvedev, but did not claim gaining any insight into his soul, as he had with Putin upon their first encounter.

MENOMONIE, Wis.

Fire kills 3 students at Wisconsin school

A smoky house fire near a University of Wisconsin campus killed three students who never made it out of the rooms where they were sleeping early Saturday, even though neighbors said they heard alarms.

Rescuers found two women and a man on the floors of three second-floor bedrooms near the University of Wisconsin-Stout. All three were pronounced dead at a hospital, authorities said.

The smoke detectors were working, and neighbors called police when they heard the alarms, said Menomonie Police Chief Dennis Beety. Police don’t know why the three victims were unable to make it out, and it was unclear whether alcohol was a factor.

The cause of the fire was still being investigated.

ELDORADO, Texas

After report of abuse, officials raid temple

Law enforcement agents entered an enormous temple on the grounds of a polygamist compound, but by yesterday morning they still had not found a 16-year-old girl whose initial report of abuse led to the raid.

“There were some tense moments last night, but everything has remained calm and peaceful and they are continuing their search,” said Allison Palmer, a prosecutor from a nearby county handling the case, early yesterday.

More than 180 women and children were taken Friday and Saturday from the compound built by followers of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs, but Marleigh Meisner, a spokeswoman for Child Protective Services, said Sunday that investigators were still trying to determine whether the girl who called authorities last week was among them.

LOS ANGELES

Famed actor, activist, Heston dies at 84

Charlton Heston, the Oscar winner who portrayed Moses and other heroic figures on film in the ’50s and ’60s and later championed conservative values as head of the National Rifle Association, has died. He was 84.

The actor died Saturday night at his home in Beverly Hills with his wife Lydia at his side, family spokesman Bill Powers said. He declined to comment on the cause of death or provide further details.

Heston revealed in 2002 that he had symptoms consistent with Alzheimer’s disease.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports