COLUMBUS, Miss.

Obama decries idea of being Clinton’s VP

Democrat Barack Obama ridiculed the idea of being Hillary Rodham Clinton’s running mate Monday, saying voters must choose between the two for the top spot on the fall ticket.

The Illinois senator used his first public appearance of the week to knock down the notion that he might accept the party’s vice presidential nomination. He noted that he has won more states, votes and delegates than Clinton so far.

“I don’t know how somebody who is in second place is offering the vice presidency to the person who is first place,” Obama said, drawing cheers and a long standing ovation from about 1,700 people in Columbus, Miss.

Saying he wanted to be “absolutely clear,” he added: “I don’t want anybody here thinking that somehow, ‘Well, you know, maybe I can get both.’ Don’t think that way. You have to make a choice in this election.”

TRENTON, N.J.

N.J., Pa. governors say they’d help fund for new primary

Govs. Jon Corzine and Ed Rendell are ready to help raise money for new Florida and Michigan Democratic Party primaries.

Corzine, the New Jersey governor, and Rendell, the Pennsylvania governor, both support Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Rendell said Sunday on “Meet the Press” that he and Corzine would help raise half the $30 million needed to hold new elections in the states.

“And given all the money that the Obama campaign and the Clinton campaign are spending, I think they can dig in, and their supporters can dig in, to their pockets and help the states of Michigan and Florida have a revote,” Rendell said.

She won Florida and Michigan, but the national Democratic party stripped the states of delegates because they moved their primaries up earlier than allowed..

DETROIT

No agreement reached in Detroit casino stake plan

A plan by veteran gambling figure Tom Celani to take a stake in Detroit’s Greektown Casino isn’t going forward.

The casino announced earlier this year that Celani planned to buy a 22 percent stake from the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians, which owns about 75 percent. He was to become president of Greektown’s casino operations.

But casino spokesman Roger Martin said yesterday that terms couldn’t be agreed upon.

A message seeking comment was left for Celani.

Celani is a former investor in Detroit’s MotorCity Casino and has developed and managed casinos in California, Nevada and Oklahoma.

WASHINGTON

On a mission for peace, Cheney to travel to Middle East

President Bush, dispatching Vice President Dick Cheney to the Middle East this Sunday, said the goal is to get Israelis and Palestinians to hold firm to the promises they’ve made toward peace.

Bush said yesterday in the Oval Office that Cheney would “reassure people that the United States is committed to a vision of peace in the Middle East.”

Bush says he’s still optimistic that a peace deal can happen before he leaves office.

Cheney will travel to Oman, Saudi Arabia, Israel, the West Bank and Turkey.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports