Islamabad, Pakistan
In Pakistan election, Bhutto’s party leads, ruling party in third

Pakistan’s opposition parties have won parliamentary elections, threatening President Pervez Musharraf’s rule eight years after he seized power in a military coup, unofficial returns showed today.

The party of slain former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was in the lead in yesterday’s parliamentary vote, with ex-premier Nawaz Sharif – who was toppled in Musharraf’s 1999 coup and has emerged as his fiercest critic – running a close second.

The private Geo TV network said the two parties had so far won 139 seats, more than half of the 272-seat National Assembly.

The pro-Musharraf ruling party, the Pakistan Muslim League-Q, was trailing a distant third with 33 seats, the network said.

BRUSSELS, Belgium
Kosovo’s declaration of independence draws opposition

The U.S. and the European Union’s biggest powers quickly recognized Kosovo as an independent nation yesterday, widening a split with Russia, China and some EU members strongly opposed to letting the territory break away from Serbia.

The rift was on view for a second day at the U.N. Security Council, which was holding an emergency session to discuss the declaration of independence issued Sunday by Kosovo’s ethnic Albanian majority.

Ethnic Serbs rallying in northern Kosovo angrily denounced the United States and urged Russia to help Serbia hold on to the territory that Serbs consider the birthplace of their civilization. Protesters also marched in Serbia’s capital, and that nation recalled its ambassador to the U.S. to protest American recognition for an independent Kosovo.

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan
Suicide bomber kills 35 civilians at market

A suicide car bomber targeting a Canadian military convoy killed 35 civilians at a busy market in southern Afghanistan, a police official said.

At least 28 people were wounded in the attack in Spin Boldak, a town in Kandahar province near the border with Pakistan, said Abdul Razeq, the Spin Boldak border police chief. Two Canadian soldiers were wounded, he said.

The attack comes one day after Afghanistan’s deadliest bombing since the fall of the Taliban in 2001. More than 100 people were killed by a suicide bomber outside Kandahar city on Sunday.

NILES, Ohio
Obama says he should have credited Mass. gov for lines

Sen. Barack Obama said yesterday that he doesn’t think it’s a big deal that he borrowed lines from his friend Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, although he probably should have given him credit.

Patrick said during his gubernatorial campaign a year and a half ago that words matter, like “I have a dream” and “all men are created equal.”

Obama used the same lines Saturday night in Wisconsin. Obama said that Patrick suggested he use the lines to respond to Hillary Rodham Clinton’s suggestion that Obama is more of a talker than a doer.

Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson accused Obama of plagiarizing Patrick, and that’s particularly troubling since Obama’s appeal is based in large part on his rhetorical skills.

– Compiled from

Daily wire reports