Romney endorses McCain

BOSTON

Republican campaign dropout Mitt Romney endorsed John McCain for the party’s presidential nomination and asked his national convention delegates to swing behind the likely nominee.

“Even when the contest was close and our disagreements were debated, the caliber of the man was apparent,” the former Massachusetts governor said, standing alongside his former rival at his now-defunct campaign’s headquarters. “As a party, we come together.”

“We all know this was a hard campaign – and now we move forward, we move forward together for the good of our party and the nation,” said McCain, who was campaigning in Vermont and Rhode Island earlier in the day and added a flight to Boston to accept the endorsement.

BEIRUT, Lebanon

Hezbollah leader vows revenge on Israel

The chief of Hezbollah told throngs of supporters at a funeral for slain commander Imad Mughniyeh his group would retaliate against Israeli targets anywhere in the world after accusing the Jewish state of killing the militant.

Israel ordered its military, embassies and Jewish institutions overseas to go on alert earlier in the day, fearing revenge attacks for the car bomb that killed Mughniyeh Tuesday night in Damascus. The former Hezbollah security chief was one of world’s most wanted fugitives, accused of masterminding attacks that killed hundreds of Americans in Lebanon in the 1980s.

NEW ORLEANS

FEMA to move Katrina refugess out of toxic trailers

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said yesterday it will step up efforts to move Gulf Coast hurricane victims out of more than 35,000 trailers because tests indicate some of the temporary homes contain high levels of formaldehyde.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said fumes from 519 tested trailer and mobile homes in Louisiana and Mississippi were – on average – about five times what people are exposed to in most modern homes.

FEMA Administrator R. David Paulison and CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding said at a news conference they hope to get people out of the trailers before the warm summer months, when heat and a lack of ventilation in the trailers could make formaldehyde accumulations worse.

VIENNA, Austria

U.S.: Iran is buliding nuclear weapons

The U.S. has shared new intelligence with the International Atomic Energy Agency that it claims is evidence Iran was trying to make a nuclear weapon, diplomats said yesterday.

One of the diplomats said Washington also gave the IAEA permission to confront Iran with at least some of the information in an attempt to pry details out of the Islamic republic as part of the U.N. nuclear watchdog’s attempts to investigate Iran’s suspicious nuclear past.

The diplomats suggested that such moves by the U.S. administration would be a reflection of Washington’s’ drive to pressure Iran into acknowledging that it had focused part of its nuclear efforts toward developing a weapons program.

Compiled from Daily wire reports