WASHINGTON
FBI raids home in China espionage investigation

The FBI was raiding a home in New Orleans yesterday in connection with a spy investigation of U.S. military secrets being illegally given to China.

A Defense Department analyst with security clearances was among the three or four people being charged in what law enforcement officials described as separate cases in Virginia and California.

It was not immediately clear how the Louisiana raid was related, but FBI spokeswoman Sheila Thorne said the case would be discussed at a news conference addressing the espionage cases that was planned for 2 p.m. Eastern Standard Time today at the Justice Department in Washington.

DILI, East Timor
Following near coup, East Timor declares state of emergency

East Timor declared a state of emergency today after attacks on the country’s top leaders in a failed coup left the president in “extremely serious” condition with gunshot wounds.

The assassination attempt Monday against President Jose Ramos-Horta and the failed attack on Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao – East Timor’s the independence icons – thrust the desperately poor country into a fresh crisis amid fears of more unrest and political turmoil.

Surgeons operated on Ramos-Horta for three hours overnight to remove bullet fragments and repair his chest wounds, Dr. Len Notaros, the general manager of the Royal Darwin Hospital, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

ZURICH, Switzerland
Trio of thieves nabs $163 million worth of paintings

Three gunmen in ski masks and dark clothes burst into a museum just before closing time. After a quick run through the building, they hustled out the door and sped off with paintings by Cezanne, Degas, van Gogh and Monet valued at $163.2 million.

Authorities appealed yesterday for any witnesses to help reconstruct the robbers’ getaway from the E.G. Buehrle Collection, a private museum of Impressionist works whose founder had his own troubled history with stolen art.

“This is an entirely new dimension in criminal culture,” police spokesman Marco Cortesi said, calling it the largest art robbery in Switzerland’s history and one of the biggest ever in Europe.”

WASHINGTON
Again, Huckabee vows to stay in the GOP race

Against overwhelming odds, Mike Huckabee keeps brushing off calls to drop his presidential bid for the good of the Republican Party.

The former Arkansas governor and ordained Baptist minister is following in the footsteps of past spoilers such as Republican Ronald Reagan in 1976 and Democratic Sen. Edward M. Kennedy in 1980, who both pressed uphill primary challenges to the limits.

Some GOP sages suggest it’s hard to quit while you’re still winning races, as Huckabee is doing, despite the mathematical reality of the delegate count. But then Huckabee likes to brag that he “didn’t major in math, I majored in miracles,” and he asserted anew yesterday his intention to stay in the race.

In those earlier challenges, the front-runners were sitting presidents.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports