DIMONA,Israel

Palestinian suicide bomber kills Israeli woman, injures 11

A Palestinian bomber blew himself up yesterday in this desert town near Israel’s nuclear reactor, killing an Israeli woman and wounding 11 people in the first suicide attack inside Israel in a year.

Police killed a second attacker after a doctor found a suicide vest while treating him for wounds suffered in the blast.

The attack fueled Israel’s fears that Gaza militants would exploit a border breach with Egypt to sneak into Israel. Militants claimed the bombers entered Israel through the porous Egyptian border, about 35 miles from Dimona, and said more militants were inside Israel waiting to strike.

In Gaza, gunmen fired in the air and relatives of the bombers passed out sweets to celebrate the bombing.

WASHINGTON

$3.1 trillion budget plan would cause deep federal deficits

The record $3.1 trillion budget proposed by President Bush yesterday would produce eye-popping federal deficits, despite his attempts to impose politically wrenching curbs on Medicare and eliminate scores of popular domestic programs.

The Pentagon would receive a $36 billion, 8 percent boost for the 2009 budget year beginning Oct. 1, even as programs aimed at the poor would be cut back or eliminated. Half of domestic Cabinet departments would see their budgets cut outright.

Slumping revenues and the cost of an economic rescue package will combine to produce a huge jump in the deficit to $410 billion this year and $407 billion in 2009, the White House says, just shy of the record $413 billion set four years ago.

GUANTANAMO BAY,Cuba

New details emerge in Canadian terror suspect’s case

A Canadian terror suspect was shot twice in the back by U.S. forces during a 2002 firefight in Afghanistan after he allegedly killed an American commando, according to a U.S. fighter’s eyewitness account revealed yesterday.

Omar Khadr, who was 15 at the time, already had been injured by shrapnel in his chest and was facing away from the fight when he was shot inside an al-Qaida compound, according to the unidentified U.S. fighter.

Defense attorneys said the new details would help them make a case that Khadr should not be tried before a military tribunal because his alleged offenses occurred in a combat setting – and therefore should not be considered war crimes committed by an irregular “enemy combatant.”

LANSING

Services set for ex-Mich. politician

Services have been set for former Democratic Senate Majority Leader William B. Fitzgerald Jr., who died Sunday from colon cancer at his home in Grosse Pointe Farms at the age of 65.

Mass will take place at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Paul on the Lake Catholic Church in Grosse Pointe Farms. He will lie in state from 9:30 a.m. until Mass begins.

Visitation will be held from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Chas. Verheyden Funeral Home in Grosse Pointe.

Fitzgerald was one of the most visible figures in Michigan politics throughout the 1970s, when he served in the state House and Senate.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports