Schembechler could get official
day in Michigan

A University of Michigan gridiron legend might get his own official day in the state.

A state House committee on yesterday approved a bill that would designate the date of the University of Michigan’s first home football game each season Bo Schembechler Day. The bill now goes to the House floor.

Schembechler coached the Wolverines from 1969 through 1989. His Michigan teams won 194 games.Schembechler died in 2006.

The bill is sponsored by Rebekah Warren, a Democratic representative from Ann Arbor.

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan

Top al-Qaida official killed

Abu Laith al-Libi, a top al-Qaida commander blamed for bombing an Afghan base while Vice President Cheney visited last year, was killed in Pakistan by an airstrike, a U.S. government official said yesterday.

The strike was conducted by a Predator unmanned drone, the official said. It was carried out against a facility in north Waziristan, the lawless tribal area bordering Afghanistan. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to discuss the strike publicly.

An estimated 12 people were killed in the strike late Monday or early Tuesday, including Arabs, Turkeman from central Asia and local Taliban members, according to an intelligence official in the area who spoke on condition of anonymity. He said the bodies of those killed were badly mangled by the force of the explosion and it was difficult to identify them.

Washington

Consumer spending skids in December

Consumers increased their spending at the weakest pace in six months while applications for unemployment benefits soared last week, two more signs the economy is weakening.

The Commerce Department reported yesterday that consumer spending edged up just 0.2 percent in December – the year’s peak shopping season – down sharply from a 1 percent gain in November. It was the weakest performance in this area since a similar 0.2 percent rise in June of last year.

Meanwhile, the Labor Department reported that the number of laid off workers filing applications for unemployment benefits soared by 69,000 to 375,000. That was the highest level for jobless claims since the week of Oct. 8, 2005, when the economy was dealing with the disruptions caused by Hurricane Katrina and the other Gulf Coast hurricanes.

Detroit

Kilpatrick returns to City Hall

As Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick returns to City Hall after publicly apologizing to his wife, children and Detroit residents for events surfacing from a text messaging sex scandal, a criminal investigation into whether or not he and his top aide lied under oath during a whistle-blower’s lawsuit still hangs over his head.

Kilpatrick ended his 10-minute speech Wednesday night from the family’s church with: “I’ll see you at work tomorrow.”

Yesterday was his first day in the office following a week of self-imposed seclusion, which he says included focusing on his family.

In Wednesday’s emotional but carefully worded televised speech, Kilpatrick avoided direct mention of racy text messages that appear to contradict his sworn denials of an affair with Chief of Staff Christine Beatty.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports