A group that supports lifting restrictions on embryonic stem cell research in Michigan has filed paperwork with the state that could lead to a ballot proposal for its effort.
The drive to allow more embryonic stem cell research could target the November 2008 ballot. But supporters said yesterday the effort is exploratory at this point and more work needs to be done before they would decide to proceed.
“We’re strictly exploring the possibility right now,” said Dave Waymire, a Lansing-based spokesman for the group. “There are a lot of things that still would have to be done.”

LANSING

Stem cell ban repeal could be on 2008 state ballot

WASHINGTON

U.S.: High-tech weapons being smuggled to China

Missile technology, fighter jet parts, night vision goggles and other U.S. wartime equipment increasingly are being illegally smuggled to potential adversaries, such as China and Iran, the federal government said yesterday.
Last week, two Utah men were arrested for allegedly trying to sell parts over the Internet for F-4 and F-14 fighter jets – which are only flown by Iran. The week before, two engineers were indicted in San Jose, Calif., on charges of stealing computer chip designs intended for the Chinese military.
Government lawyers and investigators yesterday described a growing number of unauthorized exports that could be dangerous if the parts and supplies end up in the hands of terrorists or hostile nations.

Ankara, Turkey

Turkey recalls envoy to U.S. over Armenian genocide

Turkey, which is a key supply route to U.S. troops in Iraq, recalled its ambassador to Washington yesterday and warned of serious repercussions if Congress labels the killing of Armenians by Turks a century ago as genocide.
Ordered after a House committee endorsed the genocide measure, the summons of the ambassador for consultations was a further sign of the deteriorating relations between two longtime allies and the potential for new turmoil in an already troubled region.
Egeman Bagis, an aide to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, told Turkish media that Turkey – a conduit for many of the supplies shipped to American bases in both Iraq and Afghanistan – might have to “cut logistical support to the U.S.”

BAGHDAD

U.S. attack kills 15 civilians in attack aimed at al-Qaida

A U.S. attack killed 19 insurgents and 15 civilians, including nine children, northwest of the capital yesterday – one of the heaviest civilian death tolls in an American operation in recent months. The military said it was targeting senior leaders of al-Qaida in Iraq.
American forces have applied fierce and determined pressure on militants, especially al-Qaida in Iraq, since the full contingent of additional U.S. troops arrived June 15. But Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has recently confronted top American commander Gen. David Petraeus about what he sees as overly aggressive U.S. tactics that harm innocent civilians, according to Iraqi officials.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports