CRANDON, Wis.

Law enforcement official kills six, is fatally shot

An off-duty sheriff’s deputy went on a shooting rampage early Sunday at a home where seven young people had gathered for pizza and movies, killing six and critically injuring the other before authorities fatally shot him, officials said.

The gunman, Tyler Peterson, was 20 years old and worked full-time as a Forest County deputy sheriff and part-time as a Crandon police officer, said Police Chief John Dennee.

Three of the victims were students at the small town’s high school, and three were recent graduates, a school official said. The gunman may have graduated from the same high school.

Peterson was not working at the time of the shooting, Sheriff Keith Van Cleve said.

The survivor was hospitalized in nearby Marshfield, Dennee said.

Gary Bradley, mayor of the city of about 2,000, said earlier yesterday that a sniper killed the suspect, but Van Cleve would not confirm that officers shot the suspect.

KHARTOUM, Sudan

Darfur town under control of Sudanese is torched

A Darfur town under the control of Sudanese troops has been razed, the U.N. said yesterday. The destruction of the town was in apparent retaliation for a suspected rebel attack on a nearby African Union peacekeeping base.

The town of Haskanita “which is currently under the control of the government, was completely burned down, except for a few buildings,” the U.N. mission to Sudan said in a statement.

The U.N. did not say who set fire to the town but said Sudanese government forces took control of the area last week after suspected Darfur rebels attacked the nearby AU base a week ago, killing 10 peacekeepers.

U.N. officials said the burning began Wednesday but observers were unable to obtain firsthand confirmation until yesterday.

BAGHDAD

U.S.-Iraqi group meets to review Blackwater

A joint U.S.-Iraqi commission reviewing American security operations after a deadly shooting of Iraqi civilians allegedly at the hands of Blackwater USA guards met for the first time on yesterday, the U.S. embassy said.

Across the Iraqi capital, bombings killed at least nine Iraqis in three separate attacks, including one near Iran’s embassy, police said, while the U.S. military reported the capture of three suspected Shiite militia fighters believed to be responsible for the kidnapping of five British security contractors.

The joint commission, chaired by Iraq’s defense minister and the American embassy’s No. 2 diplomat, expressed “mutual commitment of the Iraqi government and the U.S. government to work together to evaluate issues of safety and security related to personal security detail operations in Iraq,” the brief embassy statement said.

NEW HAMPTON, Iowa

Clinton takes lead in Iowa polls

Hillary Rodham Clinton has taken the lead among Democratic presidential candidates in an Iowa poll, an encouraging sign of progress toward overcoming a big hurdle in the race.

The New York senator is the clear front-runner in national surveys, but Iowa had remained an elusive prize. She has been in a tight race with John Edwards and Barack Obama in the state that begins the primary campaign voting in three months.

Clinton was supported by 29 percent of the Oct. 1-3 poll’s respondents.

– Compiled from Daily wire reports