Law school shooter could get death

GRUNDY, Va.

The expelled law school student accused of killing his dean and two others in a campus shooting spree was so paranoid and prone to outbursts that at least one classmate said he saw the violence coming.

At yesterday”s arraignment on three counts of capital murder, Peter Odighizuwa, 43, told the judge he was sick and needed help.

“I was supposed to see my doctor,” Odighizuwa said, hiding his face behind a green arrest warrant. “He was supposed to help me out I don”t have my medication.”

Police say Odighizuwa opened fire with a handgun at the Appalachian School of Law on Wednesday, a day after he was dismissed from the school for a second time.

Dean L. Anthony Sutin and Professor Thomas Blackwell were slain in their offices and student Angela Dales, 33, died later at a hospital. Three other students were wounded.

Prosecutor Sheila Tolliver said she will seek the death penalty.

Odighizuwa also faces three counts of attempted capital murder and six weapons charges. A few minutes before his arraignment, Odighizuwa told reporters as he was led into the courtroom, “I was sick, I was sick. I need help.”

Red Cross workers to inspect Cuban prison

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba

Guards practiced basic commands in Arabic yesterday for dozens of al-Qaida and Taliban prisoners being held at this remote U.S. military outpost, while a forklift groaned, hoisting materials to expand the temporary detention facility.

International Red Cross workers were to arrive at the U.S. naval base in eastern Cuba later yesterday to review conditions that some rights groups have called inhumane. U.S. officials say the prisoners” rights are not being violated.

Behind three fences and coils of razor wire, prisoners with shaved heads and orange jumpsuits sat in open-air cells of chain-link fence. Occasionally, Army guards led a prisoner out of a cell, taking him for a walk in the heavily fortified yard.

“For the most part, they do what they”re told,” said Sgt. Lisa Juve, an Army guard who spoke to journalists who were allowed to see the detention camp, but only from about 150 yards away.

Military officials say the camp will soon be able to hold 320 inmates, or more if they are doubled up two to a cell. Workers also are building a permanent prison to hold up to 2,000.

India, Pakistan may be near resolution

WASHINGTON

India”s defense minister said yesterday he believes that despite another terrorist attack blamed on militants in the disputed Kashmir province, the standoff between his country and Pakistan may be “on the way to resolution.”

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said it is in neither the interest of Pakistan nor India to stay at a high state of readiness for war.

Rumsfeld also said, after joint talks with his Indian counterpart, George Fernandes, that he hopes the standoff will not force Pakistan to move troops from the border with Afghanistan, where they remain on the lookout for fugitive al-Qaida, including Osama bin Laden.

Fernandes, asked about a Kashmir bomb blast that killed one and injured 15, said: “Against the backdrop of recent developments I have reason to believe sooner or later these issues will now be on the way to resolution.”

Ton of explosives seized 3 arrested

JAKARTA, Indonesia

Philippine police arrested three men suspected of links to al-Qaida terrorist network and seized a ton of explosives yesterday, acting on a tip from authorities in Singapore who recently broke up a terror ring there.

The arrests in the southern Philippine city of General Santos came as U.S. troops began setting up camp less than 200 miles away to assist the Philippine military in combating an Islamic separatist band of kidnappers that has been holding two American hostages.

The arrests of the trio and the discovery of a buried weapons cache indicated that a terrorist network connected with al-Qaida has been operating secretly for some time in at least four countries in Southeast Asia: Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and now the Philippines.

Reopening of Hart offices postponed

WASHINGTON

The planned reopening of the Hart Senate office building was postponed for at least another day yesterday as tests for anthrax were performed on a bag of cleanup gear found in a hallway ceiling.

The building, across the street from the Capitol, was to reopen at noon today to the public and staffs of the 50 senators who normally have offices there. It has been shuttered since Oct. 17, two days after an anthrax-laden letter was opened there in the suite of Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, (D-S.D.).

But officials announced yesterday that they had found a bag of gear, including gloves and hazardous material body suits, in the ceiling above a sixth floor corridor outside Daschle”s office.

Congress is out of session until Wednesday.