Law School Associate Dean Evan Caminker said fellow administrators are still celebrating the court’s decision to uphold the Law School’s admissions policy in its monumental decision in favor of the University in Grutter v. Bollinger.

“We’re terrifically gratified that the court did in fact uphold the principal of Bakke and the Law School policy in particular. At the moment our ability to take race into account … remains important for us to provide both an academically excellent and racially diverse student body,” he said.

Caminker, whose recommendation as the new Law School dean came only a few weeks before the court’s decision, has yet to start his first official day of work in his new position, pending approval by the Board of Regents. But as the current associate dean and a constitutional law professor, Caminker has been writing and teaching about affirmative action for over a decade.

“I’ve been part of the litigation team (at the law school) for the past couple of years,” he said.

Since the court ruled in favor of the Law School in Grutter v. Bollinger, Caminker says they have no plans to change its admissions policy except to do a routine periodic review. He said the Law School has been using the same policy since 1992.

“We might well tweak the policy in various ways but not directly relate to the affirmative action question,” he said.

“We certainly have learned a lot during the litigation about how the admissions processes can being improved … and the Supreme Court itself reminded ourselves of our obligation to periodically review the policy … so that we are still taking advantage of new experiments that might prove useful,” he added.

Caminker said as of now, the only plans are to bring the application up to date, such as revising the part of the current policy that lists representative examples of applicants that were admitted more than a decade ago.

Administrators from the Law School have volunteered their time and expertise to the LSA to help it revise its current admissions policy, deemed unconstitutional by the court, Caminker said.

“Both myself and the director of admissions of the Law School… have made clear that we are prepared to pitch in as best we can,” he added.

Caminker added he does not foresee the law school having to deal with additional lawsuits regarding affirmative action in the future.

“The opponents of affirmative action have been creative in the ways in which they see fit to challenge programs designed to maintain racial innovation, but I think that the Supreme Court ruling affectively insulates us against any significant challenge,” he said.