LSA senior Eric Barstad, a native of South Dakota, said he has never met someone from his home state while studying at the University.

The Sioux Falls native is one of eight South Dakotans currently enrolled at the University.

Chris Lucier, director of recruitment for the University’s undergraduate admissions department, said a student’s home state is one factor in admissions. Students from underrepresented states like South Dakota receive some preference.

However, the University’s admissions department doesn’t send any admissions officers to recruit students in South Dakota, Lucier said.

It would be “resource impractical,” given the low populations of those states, he said.

No alumni serve as recruitment volunteers in South Dakota, either.

Barstad said he didn’t receive any brochures from the University while he researched colleges.

College of Engineering sophomore Katya Christenson said people from South Dakota are more likely to stay in-state for college or go to nearby states like Minnesota, Nebraska or Iowa.

Some students, though, know plenty of people from their home state.

There are 1,684 students from New York at the University – more than any state besides Michigan.

Lucier said the large number of University graduates that move to New York has made the school more prestigious there.

Michigan has a strong reputation in New York, especially among students attending elite private schools, LSA freshman Matthew Gross said.

Gross, like many students from New York, intends to return after he graduates.

“Anyone who grows up in New York City has a hard time living anywhere else,” he said.

LSA freshman Gabriella Kula, who lived in Manhattan before coming to the University, said she came to the Ann Arbor to experience a different lifestyle. The kindness of Midwesterners helped draw her to the University, she said.

Still, New Yorkers shape the culture of the University by bringing cosmopolitan fashion to the Midwest, Kula said.

“Fashion comes out of New York,” she said. “It doesn’t come out of Michigan.”

Kula said New Yorkers help give the University a cosmopolitan atmosphere – and a superiority complex.

“If you took the New Yorkers out of Michigan, it wouldn’t be as great,” she said.

REBECCA GRAPEVINE