During its first meeting of the winter term, the Michigan Student Assembly confirmed Nate Fink as its new vice president, filling a vacancy opened last month when former MSA president Zack Yost resigned and then-Vice President Mohammad Dar stepped in to replace him.

Brian Merlos
Nate Fink was named vice president of the Michigan Student Assembly yesterday. (ROB MIGRIN/Daily)

The assembly voted unanimously in favor of Fink’s appointment after Dar nominated him to fill the position.

“He has an incredible amount of experience in MSA matters,” Dar said during the meeting. “And above all that, Nate brings a great amount of enthusiasm to the assembly.”

After the meeting, fellow representatives congratulated Fink.

Fink, formerly the assembly’s chief of staff, told the assembly he has plenty of experience to do the job well.

“I saw myself as what I thought was the most qualified individual on MSA, and was excited about the work that it would entail,” said Fink, who has sat on the assembly’s executive board since April. “I see the vice president position as a more external position, and I’ll be able to be a lot more proactive on external projects.”

After the meeting, Fink said he sees his appointment as an opportunity to increase the effectiveness of MSA by improving its image.

“My top priority will be to work with Mohammad and the rest of the assembly to build stronger relationships with administrators, as well as build confidence with students at large,” Fink said.

Dar said six representatives applied for the vice president position. After reviewing their applications and conducting interviews, Dar decided Fink was the best candidate.

“Nate came on with a very strong interview, and he had a very strong grasp of how the assembly needs to move and what it needs right now,” Dar said. “The VP must, like the president, be very self-motivated, but also be able to motivate others. He excels at both.”

The assembly took a hit in November when it was revealed that Yost had created a private Facebook group mocking an MSA representative’s mild form of autism. After an outcry from students and administrators alike, Yost resigned.

Fink said he thinks the assembly’s efforts to improve the quality of life on campus will reverse those sentiments, citing continued work on changing the academic calendar, lowering the price of textbooks and improving campus lighting.

“I think accomplishments speak for themselves,” Fink said. “I hope to be able to meet with administrators alongside Mohammad, and hopefully in the last few months get a lot of things done.”