Central Student Government Assembly representatives completed an initial read of a new diversity initiative at Tuesday night’s meeting that is aimed to increase minority representation on campus.

The proposal includes CSG’s support of the seven demands of the Black Student Union, an increase in admissions recruiting among minorities and the creation of the Dream Scholarship for undocumented students. Additionally, the resolution demands that the minority enrollment for the 2014 to 2015 year doubles.

Disagreement regarding the resolution arose among representatives and attending members of the BSU, specifically about the CSG’s formal support of the reversal of Proposal 2, which banned affirmative action in the college admissions process in Michigan.

Business senior Shayla Scales, a member of the BSU who attended the meeting, said she was pleased with CSG’s initiative to support #BBUM and hopes to see changes in the wording that align more with the specified demands of the organization.

“This is not an affirmative action model; a lot of people get that misinformed,” Scales said. “We actually just want more diversification in how we recruit undergraduates and graduates here at the University to increase diversity. And not only just race, but in thought, socioeconomic status, gender, everything.”

Representatives are divided on the goals of the proposal. Rackham student Rae Scevers, co-author of the resolution, said she is open to shifting the emphasis away from affirmative action.

“Being stuck on that one goal might actually be detrimental to our larger goal, which is to increase minority representation,” Scevers said.

However, Rackham student Samuel Molnar, another co-author of the resolution, disagreed, adding that affirmative action should not be removed from the resolution.

“I think the student body as a whole, though, is behind affirmative action. I think that is going to stay,” he said.

The language of the resolution was another main concern of several CSG representatives as they expressed concern regarding the overall severity of the resolution’s tone, saying it was worded too strongly.

Members cited portions of the proposal describing the racial climate on campus as “The New Jim Crow,” as well as aggressive accusations of racism directed toward the University, among others.

LSA senior Chris Mays, an LSA representative, said changes to the language of the resolution are crucial to clearing up the goals of the proposal.

“I think the language is a bit more rhetoric, and it doesn’t really solve the problem,” Mays said. “I think the University of Michigan and students both know that there is an issue of racism within the campus, but I think it goes too close to criticize that the University of Michigan itself supports racism.”

He suggested changing the repetition of “demand” to a less confrontational one, such as “urge.”

Mays said CSG would see much greater cooperation from the administration if careful revisions to the wording were made.

“We need to focus on what the problem is, how we solve it and where CSG can go in between to make sure that problem is solved,” he said.

CSG will be revising the resolution at Saturday’s Resolutions Committee meeting.

In other business, councilmembers postponed a vote on the resolution amending the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, a vote that was expected to take place Tuesday.