The Stephen M. Ross School of Business has partnered with Shanghai Jiao Tong University, one of China’s leading universities, and the University’s SJTU Joint Institute to initiate a Master of Management program. The program will be for Joint Institute engineering students, and will provide a basis for faculty research and collaboration between the Business School and the SJTU Antai College of Economics and Management.

The Joint Institute was founded in 2006 and represents a strategic global partnership between China and the United States. Its primary mission is to establish a highly reputable institute for innovative global engineering education and research.

The program currently supports more than 1,000 undergraduates, most of whom are Chinese, studying computer, mechanical and electrical engineering in Shanghai. More than 20 full-time faculty members teach all of the available courses in English.

Launched in 2014, Master of Management Program at the Business School is meant to provide students who have little undergraduate business experience with a firm understanding of business strategy and concepts.

The Master of Management program for the Joint Institute’s engineering students will begin in July. Students will study business concepts in China before arriving in Ann Arbor in the fall for nine months of study at the Business School.

In May, students will return to China, where they will conclude their program by completing a seven-week, action-based learning capstone project led by Business School faculty in which students work on real world projects with multinational corporation based in China.

Liz Muller, the director of global initiatives for the Ross School of Business, said the interdisciplinary nature of the program is perfect for students looking to add relevant business experience to an already impressive degree.

“A lot of engineers go into strict engineering and as they progress through their career, they need management skills to really take that next step into business and industry,” Muller said. “We see one of our best opportunities for collaboration in China being not only cross-culturally but cross-disciplinary, so we’re really interested in the intersection of business and engineering or business and health for example.”

M.S. Krishnan, associate dean for global initiatives at the Business School, said the partnership not only benefits students by providing them with a diverse, global education, but is also advantageous to numerous faculty members because it provides new opportunities for business collaboration and research.

“We are trying to open up a platform for our faculty to visit China and to these companies so we can understand and identify the questions that may be interested in,” Krishnan said. “It’s important to expose our faculty to diverse markets.”

Last year, the Joint Institute became the first U.S.-China collaboration to win one of the highest honors in international higher education — the distinguished Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education.