METAIRIE, La. (AP) — One week after Hurricane Katrina devastated the region, miles-long lines of vehicles crawled into Jefferson Parish yesterday as residents were allowed to return to salvage what was left of their homes. New Orleans’s mayor warned that 10,000 people may have died.

Chelsea Trull
Volunteers pass under an overpass through flood waters on Interstate 10 in New Orleans while searching for survivors yesterday. (AP photo)

President Bush began his second trip to the region since the storm hit, landing in Baton Rouge late in the morning to start another inspection tour and consultations with federal and local officials.

“All levels of the government are doing the best they can,” Bush said in Baton Rouge. “So long as any life is in danger, we’ve got work to do.”

Traffic began moving into the parish west of New Orleans at about 6 a.m. A curfew was set for 6 p.m., and residents were told they could stay until tomorrow.

Among those returning was Diane Dempsey, a 59-year-old retired Army lieutenant colonel who stopped at the water’s edge less than a mile from the house where she grew up and where her aunt lives.

“I’m going to pay someone to get me back there, anything I have to do,” she said, sobbing while standing amid boats beached on Veterans Highway. “A lot of these people built these houses anticipating some flood water but nobody imagined this.”

Most of the single-story bungalow homes in her neighborhood had water nearly to the rooflines. Homes in the most exclusive neighborhood of the parish, Old Metaire, had little structural damage but some of the worst flooding. Along rows of palatial, six-bedroom homes, a few windows were broken and the live oaks survived, but the water rippled up to front-door knobs.

The suburban parish, which has 460,000 residents, has been closed since a mandatory evacuation just before Katrina hit. Wide portions of Metairie and Kenner suffered heavy flooding, and authorities said thousands of homes were damaged.

Some 400 to 500 police officers from New Orleans’s 1,600 member force were unaccounted for, Deputy Police Chief W.J. Riley said.

A week after the storm, a definitive death toll remained elusive. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin warned on NBC’s “Today” that “it wouldn’t be unreasonable to have 10,000” dead.

Despite the grim estimate, he was more upbeat than in previous days, when he railed against the federal government and broke down sobbing during a radio interview.

“We’re making great progress now, the momentum has picked up. I’m starting to see some critical tasks being completed,” he told NBC.

“The 17th Street canal is about or was about 84 percent closed in yesterday afternoon. We have more troops arriving, so we’re starting to make the kind of progress that I kind of expected earlier.”

Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore told ABC’s “Good Morning America” that fewer than 10,000 people remained in the city, based on aerial reconnaissance.

“This is not a city under siege,” he added on NBC. “This city needs help from the big people in America and its technology to get back on its feet. We are focused on the future. We have to finish the search-and-rescue and provide food and water from an area from Mobile (Ala.) to the east side of New Orleans, up to I-20 in Mississippi. This is a pig-big piece of terrain. There are people there that need help. We will do the best we can to get it to them.”

On Sunday, as authorities struggled to keep order, gunmen opened fire on a group of contractors on a bridge, rescues of stranded residents continued and the flood waters began to recede, leaving the grisly task of collecting bodies.

The Times-Picayune, Louisiana’s largest newspaper, published an open letter to Bush that called for the firing of every official at the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

“We’re angry, Mr. President, and we’ll be angry long after our beloved city and surrounding parishes have been pumped dry,” the editorial said. “Our people deserved rescuing. Many who could have been were not. That’s to the government’s shame.”

“Every official at the Federal Emergency Management Agency should be fired, Director Michael Brown especially,” the letter said. “No expense should have been spared. No excuses should have been voiced.”

Violence boiled over in New Orleans when 14 contractors on their way to help plug the breach in the 17th Street Canal came under fire as they traveled across a bridge under police escort, said John Hall, a spokesman for the Army Corps of Engineers. Police shot at eight people carrying guns, killing five or six, Riley said. None of the contractors was injured, authorities said.

Besides the lawlessness, civilian deaths and uncertainty about their families, New Orleans’s police have had to deal with suicides in their ranks. Two officers took their lives, including the department spokesman, Paul Accardo, who died Saturday, according to Riley. Both shot themselves in the head, he said.

Reinforcements for police poured down the interstates toward New Orleans — long convoys of police cars, blue lights flashing, emblazoned with emblems from scattered police, sheriff, and other jurisdictions, in and out of state.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *