The University received a portion of a $20.3 million grant yesterday from the National Institutes of Health to fund global health initiatives.

The grant is part of a partnership with the NIH’s Fogarty International Center, an organization focused on global health programs, and will be distributed over the next five years to help foster the development of the next generation of University researchers and doctors. The University was named a partner in one of the five consortiums of universities, and each consortium will receive $5 million over that period to sponsor the research of 12 to 15 Global Health Fellows for a one-year traineeship.

The University will join the University of Minnesota, the University of Washington and the University of Hawaii to form the Northern/Pacific Universities Global Health Research Training Consortium, according to a University press release.

The Global Health Fellows will be selected from a pool of young doctors and health scientists, according to the release. In addition to a stipend for living and traveling expenses, the fellows will be granted $10,000 each to research a subject of their choice in one of six different countries — China, Ghana, Kenya, Peru, Thailand or Uganda.

Kate Restrick, a staff member in the medical school’s Global Reach office, said the fellows will split their time between their assigned country and a consortium university.

Restrick said the program’s mission is to mentor and train new global health researchers and doctors, adding that the program has been parallel to the University Medical School’s mission for the field of global health over the past several decades.

“Health, as it pertains to the world around us, has a direct impact on what we learn and how we do medicine,” she said.

Restrick said the research projects will vary depending on interests, but could be science or policy-based.

“I’d expect the research projects to be as varied as the individual applications,” she said. “The research projects can vary from focusing on chronic to (communicable) to (non-communicable) diseases.”

The first cohort of Global Health Fellows may begin as early as this summer, Restrick said.

Roger Glass, director of the Fogarty International Center, said in the release that he is excited about the program’s potential.

“This program will leverage the considerable experience, relationships and infrastructure the 20 U.S partners have built in developing countries around the globe,” he said. “(We want to) ensure our alumni are well-equipped to tackle the world’s most pressing health problems.”

Correction Appended: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the amount the University received from the NIH grant. It also misidentified the title of Kate Restrick.