While Facebook’s infancy consisted merely of students finding friends they already knew and making their relationships truly “official,” a new application offered on the social networking website goes so far as to help its users find their college roommate.

RoomBug is a new application developed by U-Match — a roommate matching website — that aims to give students the opportunity to find a random roommate who fits their unique profile. The application involves users making a profile for themselves and then being automatically presented with a list of people who match different aspects of their profile.

The application offers students who attend schools like the University, which does not have a roommate questionnaire, to room blindly with someone with similar interests. The University has been added to the list of schools on the RoomBug site, but currently no students are registered.

Chief Marketing Officer for U-Match, Robert Castellucci, says RoomBug gives students control over their roommates rather than simply being placed with someone by their school’s housing services.

“Your search results will automatically be filtered by people who fit within those desired preferences,” Castellucci said. “The other aspect is very much the user going in and being interested in a person, clicking on their Facebook profile and doing their own searches – trying to get an idea for what they’re like as a person.”

The application also aids the schools because it sorts through potential roommate matches and gives the students the chance to choose rather than having housing administrators spend time matching people who could have very little in common.

While the application connects people with potential roommates, they must still request the person on their formal housing forms.

Unlike most questionnaires that simply ask about students sleeping habits and tidiness, RoomBug also finds matches for students based on their lifestyles, whether or not they want visitors in their rooms and how they describe themselves and their ideal roommate.

School of Music, Theatre & Dance freshman Alyssa Krentzel said she would have found the application helpful if it had existed last year, since she began the year with a incompatible roommate and has since switched rooms.

“My roommate and I had absolutely nothing in common and if I had any part in it I never would have chosen her,” she said. “I had things I wanted in a roommate and there was no way I could have found those in random choosing. I would have wanted someone I could actually be friends with.”

Castellucci developed the applications, which first launched at the University of Florida. Three weeks later it was also implemented by Florida State University and the University of Central Florida.