The University’s Department of Public Safety yesterday announced the appointment of Kenneth Magee, a longtime official at the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, as the department’s new executive director.

On Nov. 14, Magee will officially take over for current executive director Bill Bess, who is retiring after almost 10 years of service.

Magee, an Ann Arbor native, received awards from the DEA, FBI, US Marshals and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. He worked for four years as a police officer in Jackson before serving as a federal agent, including six years overseas.

Magee attended graduate school at the University of Michigan and received his B.S. and M.S. in criminal justice from Michigan State University.

“I’ve always wanted to return back to work local law enforcement and public service,” said Magee, whose parents both attended the University. “The opportunity to return to Ann Arbor and be involved in this position is a highlight of my career.”

Hank Baier, associate vice president of Facilities and Operations, said Magee would be the go-to person for campus crime issues.

“Ken will be responsible for assuming a leadership role in the development and application of policies and procedures for crime prevention, loss prevention, law enforcement, and safety and security services at the University,” Baier wrote in an e-mail to University faculty.

In addition to continuing to “uphold the outstanding tradition of DPS,” Magee said one of his goals would be to work with the students, faculty and administrators to address their opinions as to what areas of DPS can be improved.

“One of the things I would also hope to do is continue to increase the visibility of DPS to ensure that the students know they’re in a safe environment,” he said.