The apartment building formerly known as 4 Eleven Lofts will soon get a new look.

After purchasing 4 Eleven Lofts on East Washington Street in December, The Dinerstein Companies — three separate companies that build and operate apartment complexes — has plans to revamp the complex to attract more students through updated facilities and new in-house retail businesses.

Brian Dinerstein, director of new business development at The Dinerstein Companies, said among minor improvements such as new carpeting, furniture and cosmetic upgrades in apartment units, the company plans to update fitness center equipment and add new printers and Apple computers to the building’s study center.

In addition to getting an aesthetic lift, the building has also been renamed “Sterling 4 Eleven Lofts,” in accordance with The Dinerstein Companies’s student housing company, called Sterling University Housing. The building was previously owned by Joseph Freed and Associates of Chicago, Ill.

Lori Chacos, vice president for Joseph Freed and Associates, said while the company may have future opportunities for development, the firm doesn’t plan to purchase any other properties for student housing at this time.

Dinerstein said one of the company’s biggest priorities is filling the empty retail spaces on the ground floor of the building. One of the retail spaces has been leased to a Subway franchisee that is expected to open in early April, according to a Nov. 11 Michigan Daily article.

Other retail spaces on the building’s first floor have been vacant since the apartment building opened in 2009.

“We think (the retail stores) will add to the vibrancy of the neighborhood,” Dinerstein said. “It will be a great amenity for the residents that live above.”

Dinerstein said his company hopes to satisfy the needs of students, but added that he is open to meeting the needs of non-students as well.

Dinerstein said though Sterling 4 Eleven is farther from campus than other apartment complexes, he said it offers superior amenities for its residents.

“We have a full-time professional staff,” Dinerstein said, adding that the company is retaining the building’s current staff, including maintenance employees.

But LSA junior Renee Dhar, a current Sterling 4 Eleven resident, said she has had problems with the staff in the past.

“I’ve used maintenance before, and it took days to get (a hold of them),” she said.

Dhar said she is looking forward to the new computers in the study center, as well as new fitness equipment, since she said some current machines haven’t been functioning properly. Having Subway below her apartment will also be very convenient, she said.