In the nonsensical comedy “Aqua Teen Hunger Force,” a giant diaper-wearing spider named MC Pee Pants raps about candy. The man behind MC Pee Pants and other Adult Swim characters is independent rapper mc chris, who will be performing his original songs at the Blind Pig tonight.

Born Christopher Ward, mc chris keeps his name in lowercase out of respect for what he calls “real hip hop,” such as the groups that sparked his love for the genre: A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Black Sheep and The Pharcyde. If the “mc” were capitalized, he feels it “implies that I think I’m a real MC, which I don’t.” Ward approaches his music in a playful way, wrting satirical lyrics that comment on different aspects of society. He has formed his own label and offers downloads of his songs for free on his website. “I think we’ve all been taken for a ride enough times by the music industry,” he said.

As a writer/artist/voice talent for Adult Swim cartoons, Ward had the opportunity to incorporate his rap skills through MC Pee Pants. “I always got to write a new song for every episode I was in, so I liked that a lot,” he said.

Although Ward is now self-employed and no longer works for Cartoon Network, he is still involved in the cartoons and will be featured in the “Aqua Teen Hunger Force” movie, which is slated to open next year.

The self-proclaimed “geek” rapper played a sold-out show at the Blind Pig last spring, and he said can’t wait to come back to Ann Arbor with his Revenge of the Nerd tour.

He was surprised, though, that he now gets extra attention from the ladies. “It’s just weird because if I wasn’t on stage with a microphone, girls (wouldn’t) really talk to me,” Ward said. “So then I’ll get on stage and rap a little bit and they’re tearing their clothes off and throwing their panties at me. It’s kinda hilarious.”

So what makes him a nerd, anyway? “I’m kinda lame, I don’t have a lot of friends, I don’t get invited to a lot of parties and I like video games and comic books and ‘Star Wars,’ ” Ward said. It’s just something I identify with because it’s about the underdog or the downtrodden, people who don’t quite fit in.”

Ward explained that his Revenge of the Nerd tour is “a celebration of a great year, for me personally, and for nerds in general. We’re just at the top of the heap right now. I don’t know if it’s gonna stay this way, but we might as well have a good time while we’re there.”