Perhaps “Neighbors From Hell” functions within a state of existential irony.

“Neighbors From Hell”

Mondays at 10 p.m.
TBS

The show’s basic conceit concerns the Hellmans, a family of demons exiled to Earth. Together, the Hellmans must deal with the culture shock of being among the humans as they try to destroy a drill that would encroach on Hell.

So it’s somewhat fitting, then, that the experience of watching “Neighbors” is hellish itself, and that viewers will experience culture shock in acclimating to the show’s outdated references and the odd behavior of its human characters. Unfortunately, high-concept irony is probably not what the late-night TBS guys were thinking when they agreed to promote this unfunny piece of animated crap. Bummer.

“Neighbors” opens with a scene of Hellman patriarch Balthazar condemning some poor soul to “feel the pain of a thousand deaths” by listening to “Oops I Did It Again.” Interesting choice, considering the wealth of more timely hellish hits. “Party In The USA,” “Tik Tok,” even Circus-era Britney — any of these would certainly signify eternal damnation.

Soon, Satan summons our hero and sends him and his family to Earth for watching TV for enjoyment. “Eww, that’s where Ugg boots come from,” daughter Mandy complains. Yeah, and also Crocs, moccasins — you know, shoe fads that people still actually wear.

More irksome than the show’s misguided references, though, is the behavior of the Hellmans’ human acquaintances. Next-door neighbor Marjoe first appears cleaning up after her dog Champers. “Hey you!” she squeals, holding Champers’s excrement in her bare hand.

Marjoe turns out to be a classic Texan housewife, making out with her dog and revealing how she taught her kids about sex by screwing her husband in front of them one morning — wait, what? Is this, like, standard human behavior that viewers are supposed to find humorous when seen through an outsider’s perspective?

No, because if “Neighbors From Hell” was actually about an un-Earthly family trying to blend in, then it’d just be an animated version of “3rd Rock from the Sun.”

Instead, “Neighbors” negates its own relevance by making its human characters unrealistic and its demons obnoxious and unsympathetic. Besides, if Balthazar is really the pop-culture almanac he’s written as, then his knowledge should be used, TV parallels made, movie parodies construed and pop stars ridiculed.

But disregarding its conceptual fail, “Neighbors” isn’t awful. There are a few laugh-out-loud lines: Upon finding out the Hellmans’ true identity, drugged-out and homeless-looking neighbor Tammy exclaims, “Wait, you’re demons? I thought you had green shiny skin ’cause you were Jewish!” Regarding voice actors, Patton Oswalt (“Ratatouille”) has an endearing turn as badass pet Pazuzu, and SNL’s Molly Shannon scores some laughs as spiky, spicy Hellman mother Tina.

It’s just too bad these actors have so little to work with. Given the bland writing and general pointlessness of “Neighbors,” its characters tend to come off as unmemorable annoyances rather than overblown societal commentators.

Maybe there once was a place in TV for this show, but somewhere in the storyboard process, producer Pam Brady (“South Park”) seems to have forgotten what “Neighbors” was supposed to be about. There’s a slight possibility that it could be reworked in the future to be entertaining and relevant, but for now, these neighbors should go back where they came from.