Pro:

People from all socioeconomic classes are required to serve, which ensures that the poor and underprivileged will not be sent off to war disproportionately

The draft instills a sense of citizenship and national responsibility; shared sacrifice fosters pride in country and respect for fellow citizens

With the draft, the United States is perpetually guaranteed an adequately manned armed force; numbers matter in combat, and personal comfort takes a back seat to national security

A draft raises the stakes of going to war. People are more likely to consider alternatives if they or their loved ones run the risk of being drafted

Con:

The rich, powerful and influential can always manipulate the system to their own ends; if the president’s kid doesn’t want to go to war, he won’t have to

Forced service will create anger and resentment in soldiers, making psychological trauma more intense and negatively affecting the quality of service provided

When utilized, entirely voluntary armed services have served the United States well since its birth as a nation. There is no reason to fiddle with a system that works

The draft requires those opposed to the war to serve or face federal penalties. No one should have to risk his life and/or kill for a cause in which he does not believe