Detroit techno artist Kevin Saunderson will appear tonight at the Necto to host “Unite Through Music,” a benefit coordinated by the Electronic Dance Coalition to raise money for the Disaster Relief Fund in New York City.

LSA sophomore Jon Robinson, a member of EDC and one of the coordinators of the event, said that following last week”s tragedy, he felt he had to do something to help.

“I immediately went to Red Cross and tried to donate blood, but the line was too long and they were closed to donations. The only thing I could think of was pooling my DJ talent together and luckily everyone I talked to in the community was really helpful and pulled together,” he said.

Robinson, a member of Alpha Sigma Phi, said he brainstormed with some of his fraternity brothers and with other members of EDC and then brought the idea of the benefit to the Necto nightclub, formerly named the Nectarine Ballroom.

After the Necto agreed to host the Benefit, Ann Arbor record label Ghostly International, also working with EDC on the event, contacted Barbara Deyo at Saunderson”s record label, KMS Records.

“I asked Kevin if he wanted to help and he said he wanted to do anything he could,” Deyo said.

The Necto is donating 100 percent of the admissions proceeds to the American Red Cross and will present a check and an American flag to a Red Cross representative at the end of the event.

Admission is $10 for guests ages 18-20 and $8 for those 21 and older. Robinson said a raffle ticket is included in the price of admission and that door prizes from the major sponsors will be given out throughout the night.

In addition to Saunderson, Mike Scroges, a radio DJ at WDRQ-FM, and Robinson will spin mixes in the main room of the Necto during the benefit.

Robinson, who is expecting a large turnout, recommended that guests arrive early. The benefit begins at 9 p.m. and will conclude at 2 a.m.