It”s just a race. That”s how NBC describes its new reality show “Lost,” which premiered Wednesday. The show boasts a simplistic premise: Be the first team to reach the Statue of Liberty and collect $200,000 (without even passing go). Unlike all the other reality game shows there are no challenges or mind games being played. The only obstacles the teams face are each other and the world they encounter on their journey. The opening credits talk about this being a test of will and endurance. The only will and endurance being tested is the viewers having to tolerate “Lost.”

Courtesy of NBC

The game begins in Ohio where the six-member casts meet and pair up. The first team consists of make-up artist Carla and student, Lando. These two seem to work well together in the beginning and are the leaders up to this point.

Team two contains two very different women. Celeste, the fashion designer, and Tami, mother of four, find it hard at the start to carry all their belongings and lost valuable time.

The third team has too much testosterone. Graphic designer, Joe and artist, Courtland spent most of the first episode trying to figure out where in the world they were.

For the first time, “Lost” showed the viewers the preparation for the race. Latex glove-wearing officials searched each cast member before taking off for the destinations. These officials looked for any cheating device that would give that team an advantage. This emphasis on the rules was overkill even with the controversy over how real other reality shows actually are.

The contestants cannot take credit or ATM cards, use their frequent flier miles, have contact with any family or friends and only use the money given to them by the show. They must take care of the camera person following them so they must watch how much they spend carefully.

The six also were given some survival gear including coloring books and water to use and barter.

After being blind folded and flown to their destinations the teams collected clues from the surrounding area to deduce their location. Once they had an idea, they were instructed to call the producers of the show to confirm.

Team one and two successfully guessed while Joe and Courtland struggled. Everyone seemed to struggle throughout the episode and the lack of action slowed the pace of the show.

Watching six people walk around remote areas of the world for a half hour had really no point other than to help me decide to turn the channel. After they began to interact with locals, “Lost” was a little better but the contestants just do not have enough appeal to make anyone care if they ever find their way to the Statue of Liberty.