The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday rejected a request to allow the University of Michigan, Wayne State University and Michigan State University a delay on the implementation of Proposal 2, which prohibits the use of affirmative action by public institutions in Michigan.

The request, which was filed by the pro-affirmative action group By Any Means Necessary, sought to delay the implementation of Proposal 2 until the universities finished their current admissions cycles.

Proposal 2, passed in November, was supposed to take effect on Dec. 23. But the three universities, seeking to complete their admissions cycles under a uniform policy, succeeded in petitioning a district court to delay the measure until July. In late December, though, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the previous ruling, saying the University had to comply with Proposal 2 immediately.

Because BAMN’s appeal of the appeals court’s reversal decision was rejected, Proposal 2 remains in effect.

University spokeswoman Kelly Cunningham told The Associated Press on Friday that the University would refrain from commenting on the Supreme Court decision until school officials had time to review it.

Despite the Supreme Court’s decision, BAMN will continue its fight against Proposal 2, said Maricruz Lopez, an LSA sophomore and co-chair of the University’s BAMN chapter.

“Our response is that nothing changes, and we’ll continue fighting,” Lopez said. “Even if the court rejected it this time, eventually we’ll end up at the Supreme Court fighting Proposal 2.”