ATLANTA (AP) – The first Martin Luther King Jr. Day since the death of King’s widow and chief keeper of his civil rights dream was marked yesterday with speeches, visits to the couple’s tomb and the opening of a collection of his papers, including a draft of his famous “I Have a Dream” speech.

The legacy of Coretta Scott King loomed large over the 21st observance of the King holiday at the historic Ebenezer Baptist Church, where King preached.

“It is in her memory and her honor that we must carry this program on,” said her sister in law, Christine King Farris. “This is as she would have it.”

Mayor Shirley Franklin urged the congregation not to pay tribute to King’s message of peace and justice on his birthday and then contradict it the next.

“Millions can’t find jobs, have no health insurance and struggle to make ends meet, working minimum-wage jobs. What’s going on?” Franklin said, repeating a refrain from the soul music singer Marvin Gaye.

As King condemned the war in Vietnam 40 years ago, Ebenezer’s senior pastor, the Rev. Raphael G. Warnock, denounced the war in Iraq.

“The real danger is not that America may lose the war,” Warnock said. “The real danger is that America may well lose its soul.”

Visitors also paid homage to the slain civil rights leader and his wife at their tomb, not far from the church.

“They’re together at last,” said Daphne Johnson, who was baptized by King at Ebenezer.