The co-founder of an Islamic charity who was accused of overstaying his visa has been deported to Lebanon, officials said Tuesday.

Rabih Haddad, an Ann Arbor resident and Lebanese citizen, was arrested Dec. 14, 2001, the same day the suburban Chicago offices of the Global Relief Foundation were raided. Haddad is co-founder of the charity, which federal authorities accuse of funneling money to al-Qaida.

Neither Haddad nor Global Relief has been charged with a terrorism-related crime.

The Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirmed Tuesday in a news release that Haddad, who had been jailed since his arrest, was deported Monday night. The rest of his family remains in the United States.

Haddad, his wife and three of the couple’s children were ordered removed from the United States in November. All are accused of overstaying their visas, but only Haddad was jailed. The couple’s fourth child was born in the United States.

Haddad’s wife, Salma Al-Rushaid, said she first heard of her husband’s deportation when he called her collect Tuesday morning from Amsterdam. She said her mother-in-law, who had been awaiting his arrival at an airport in Lebanon, told her he had been taken away for questioning upon arriving in the Middle East.

“Our worst fears have come true. We applied for political asylum because we feared that any government would be more than pleased to please the U.S. government and interrogate Rabih,” Al-Rushaid said.

In November, an immigration judge denied political asylum to Haddad and his family.

Al-Rushaid said she did not know who took Haddad into custody, but was hopeful that he was simply taken for routine questioning by airport or customs officials.

U.S. Rep. John Conyers, a Democrat, had joined several newspapers and the American Civil Liberties Union in lawsuits seeking access to Haddad’s deportation hearings, which the federal government sought to keep closed to the public.

It was not immediately clear Tuesday why Haddad’s family remained in the country. Messages seeking comment from the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the U.S. Justice