Denise Muresan insisted she had no idea.

The No. 5 Michigan women’s tennis team swept No. 58 Purdue, 7-0 on Sunday at the Varsity Tennis Center. However, this was anything but just another impressive showing for Michigan.

The senior Muresan earned her 100th-career singles win, becoming just the third Wolverine to accomplish such a feat in the program’s 37-year history.

Muresan won her doubles match alongside freshman Brooke Bolender, 8-1, before facing unranked Jennifer Rabot of the Boilermakers. No. 8 Muresan dropped the first set 3-6, before rebounding to win both the second and third sets, 6-1, on her way to the milestone victory.

It was Muresan’s 23rd victory this season, as she improved her career record to 100-44. Evidently, Muresan is focused on the season at hand as she was unaware, yet proud, of her great accomplishment.

“No, I had no idea,” Muresan said. “I mean, I’m really excited about it. I work hard every day in practice with the team and we all push each other really hard.”

Michigan coach Ronni Bernstein was not as brief, nor modest, of her star senior.

“Denise (has been) awesome from the moment she walked on campus,” Bernstein said. “It doesn’t matter where you put Denise — we feel pretty good that she’s going to get a win and for her to have 100 wins is just a true testament to what a great player she is and how much she has meant to Michigan tennis.”

Bernstein has also noticed the great strides Muresan has taken to become one of the best singles players in the nation.

“She’s willing to come forward, I think,” Bernstein said. “Before, she would just try and bang mostly from the baseline … She’s able to use more of the court. The backhand has gotten more solid … She’s got a lot more variety to her game and I think that’s what has taken her to the next level.”

Muresan was not the only one closing in on a record, as the Wolverines now only need two more victories for 500 in the program’s history after demolishing Indiana and Purdue on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. The significance of 500 wins is certainly not lost on senior co-captain Whitney Taney, who last Friday against South Florida became the only Wolverine to ever win 100 career doubles matches.

“That would be awesome … that would be incredible. It just shows where our program is going and (we are) glad we could contribute,” Taney said.

Bernstein, not aware of the program’s proximity to 500 wins, hailed the accomplishment but also preached focus on the present.

“(Five-hundred) is a great number and there has been some great teams before us,” Bernstein said. “We’re thinking more about this year, though … we just want to get as many as we can and ten wins in the Big Ten this year is what we’re shooting for and hopefully we can keep adding to that total.”

With so many records falling by the wayside, the Wolverines’ utter dominance over Big Ten opponents has been somewhat overshadowed. Michigan has not lost a match in Big Ten dual-match play since March 29, 2009 — a winning streak lasting nearly two years.

The senior class of Muresan, Taney, co-captain Rika Tatsuno and Kari Wig boasts a career Big Ten record of 30-2. Asked why the Wolverines thrive against conference foes, Taney pointed to the excitement of playing conference rivals.

“Once we get to Big Ten season, it’s fun,” Taney said. “We see all these teams every year and it’s a great conference … one of our goals is that Big Ten Championship, so once we get to Big Ten (competition), we all get pumped.”

History is being made and record books are being rewritten, as the Michigan women’s tennis team continues its journey to repeat as Big Ten Champions and to develop into a legitimate NCAA Tournament threat.