Featuring spectacles ranging from yo-yo performances to light shows, Kappa Alpha Psi hosted their 25th annual “A Night at the Set Talent Showcase” on Friday.

Nearly 400 students and Ann Arbor locals filled the Michigan Union Rogel Ballroom as10 solo and group acts competed for the $1,000 grand prize. Detroit-based comedian Melvin Bender hosted the event.

LSA senior Scott McPherson-Moncrief, Kappa Alpha Psi’s historian, said the purpose of the showcase was to celebrate campus diversity.

“The show is all about having as many diverse acts as we can and representing as many communities as possible,” he said.

The show was judged by members of the University community, including Courtney Monroe, an adviser for the University’s National Pan-Hellenic and Multicultural Greek Councils, who has judged the event for the past three years. She echoed McPherson’s words regarding the event, adding that it showcases campus-wide talents.

Profits from the event were dedicated to the Piney Woods Country Life School, a historically Black boarding school in Mississippi.

Photonix, a student group who uses glow sticks, strings and other devices, won the event after performing an elaborate light show.

LSA sophomore Randee Shapiro performed with Dance 2XS, a multicultural hip-hop dance group. She said events like the talent show “really bring together a lot of different groups and you kind of just see what other people are working on.”

LSA sophomore Charvez Wesley, a member of Kappa Alpha Psi, said the event is sends an important message for the campus community.

“We just wanted to bring out a multicultural experience on campus for people to enjoy that,” he said.