Police used tear gas Sunday morning on a crowd of Michigan State University students rioting near campus, the Associated Press reported.

Police said the crowd at the CedarFest party became unruly at about 1 a.m. when students threw bottles and cans at the officers.

Of the 3,000 to 4,000 rioters, 52 were arrested and 48 were ticketed. Police resorted to using tear gas when the crowd did not respond to smoke.

CedarFest was an attempt to revive a tradition celebrating the Final Four men’s basketball tournament. The city of East Lansing and MSU warned students to stay away from the event, which has led to arrests in the past.

LECTURE PROTECTION

A University of Florida professor is suing Einstein’s Notes, a company that sells students’ lecture notes, Wired magazine reported.

Prof. Michael Moulton and Faulkner Press claim that the company violates professors’ copyrights, paying students to take notes that they sell before exams.

“The commercial appeal of the product is that it is a copy or close derivative work of that professor’s intellectual property,” said Attorney James Sullivan representing Faulkner Press.

The lawsuit threatens companies like Cliff Notes that sell summaries of copyrighted novels.

STUDENT PAPER GETS THE BOOT

The office of Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman may ban the Daily Nebraskan, a newspaper at the University of Nebraska, from future press conferences, The Omaha World-Herald reported.

The Nebraskan published an article last week claiming that convicted murderer Timothy Haverkamp works as a tour guide at the governor’s mansion through a work-release program.

Jen Rae Hein, a spokesman for Heineman, said the Nebraskan didn’t disclose its intentions when it scheduled a tour of the mansion.

John Swartzlander, editor of the Nebraskan, said the reporter’s angle on the program changed after she realized who was giving the tour.

“I think it is an ethically sound and very good story,” he said.

RE-EXAMINING STUDY ABROAD

The University of Southern California will cut credits from certain study abroad programs, the Daily Trojan reported, claiming that programs like Semester at Sea offer little educational experience.

“It’s a bunch of Americans sequestered on a boat. If the idea is cultural exchange, how much cultural exchange is going on?” said Sean O’Connell, a student services director at the USC School of Business. Still, the program has its fans.

“If this is my chance to travel and backpack, I’m going to learn so much more and see so much more,” said USC senior Kimberly Aller.

EMILY BARTON