Pink”s sophomore effort M!ssundaztood finds the 20-year-old Pennsylvanian acting less like an R&ampB bad girl and more like a pop-rock princess. Those expecting to find a “Can”t Take Me Home Part II” are sadly mistaken. Fans of her first album must come into M!ssundaztood with clean ears. Gone are the urban “ching ching, bling bling” references a new direction is evident. The once urban Pink has gone suburban, trading in the Fubu for leather and lace. Of the 14 tracks that grace the album, only a few are R&ampB oriented. A far cry from her first record, which featured no rock tracks whatsoever, here they are predominate, though Lilith Fair it isn”t. The production on Pink”s latest offering is as slick as anything on TRL (“Total Request Live”). The hip-hop drum patterns that she rode to superstardom during her debut are surprisingly mute in its place are electric guitars and folk-flavored acoustics. Also absent are many dance tracks. The only solid dance track is her first single “Get The Party Started,” a post-psychedelic “60s-meets-21st-century romp. The rest of the subject matter is more introspective.

“It ain”t easy growing up in World War III,” she croons. There”s a surprising sense of vulnerability displayed throughout the album. Here we find Pink reflective and confessional. She”s a bad girl, but she has feelings. She sings about life, loss and longing. Lyrically, Pink has never been more heartfelt and revealing. Everything from parental hardship to sleazy ex-girlfriends is discussed. Vocally, Pink sounds assured and confident. In “Don”t Let Me Get Me,” Pink makes an effort to distance herself from her teen contemporaries: “tired of being compared to damn Britney Spears/she”s so pretty, that just ain”t me.” Ironically, in her distancing she winds up sounding more TRL-esque on her latest album than her last.

M!ssundaztood is more like a masquerade. If she isn”t sounding like Tori Amos or Natalie Imbruglia, she”s a dredless Lauryn Hill (“Eventually”) or a female Eminem (“Family Portrait”). Where Pink lacks in artistic coherence, she makes up for in creativity. In “My Vietnam” she correlates her perils to the sounds of detonating bombs. Towards the end of the song is a sonic interpolation of Jimi Hendrix”s “Star Spangled Banner.” While introspection dominates a majority of the album, bitterness never subsides. A healthy level of will power and optimism is present. Fans of the old man-eating Pink from the first album will enjoy “Respect,” where she disenfranchises potential “playas” and empowers her fellow femme fatales. The overall vibe of M!ssundaztood is less aggressive and more self-determined. She takes an empowered role in such songs as “18 Wheeler” and the radio-ready “Just Like A Pill.” Overall, Pinks latest album is an introspective charmer that shows the promise and versatility evident in a young and rising star.

Grade: B-