Michigan Student Assembly President Jesse Levine will nominate MSA Rep. Nicole Stallings as MSA vice president after Alicia Benavides resigned from the post Aug. 29. Many members of the assembly said they were shocked by her move.

“You can never predict when these kinds of things are going to happen,” MSA Rep. Melton Lee said.

Benavides said she still supports Levine, the executive board and the assembly

“I have full confidence in them,” Benavides said. “It’s not anything MSA-related that’s caused me to resign.”

Benavides said she plans to keep her seat as an MSA representative.

Levine said that while he was surprised at first to hear Benavides had resigned, he understood her decision.

“The vice president of MSA is a really tough job,” he said. “You have to give up a lot. I totally understand where Alicia is coming from, and I respect her decision.”

Benavides is the second MSA vice president to resign for personal reasons in the past year. Last year, Jennifer Nathan resigned because of academic concerns and was replaced by former MSA Treasurer Anita Leung.

“(Alicia) thought that (resigning) was best for the assembly and for herself,” Lee said.

Levine said his consistently positive experiences working with Stallings in the past make her an excellent candidate for vice president.

“I’m excited about Nicole being nominated. … (We’ve) worked very well together in the past,” he said. “She’s done really good work for the assembly.”

Stallings will keep her position as vice chair of the Budget Priorities Committee, where she is working on instituting reforms to the BPC application process. She said she was excited to accept the nomination and hopes to get to work as Levine’s deputy.

“I think that it’s going to be a really good year and that Jesse and I will work well together,” Stallings said.