During an emergency gathering by Michigan Student Assembly”s Steering Committee following the last night”s weekly meeting, LSA freshman Colin McGlashen was selected as the election director for the upcoming spring elections.

MSA President Matt Nolan said the Steering Committee unanimously chose McGlashen. He said McGlashen”s role will be mainly administrative, but the election director also presides over the Election Board a student court that reviews allegations accusing candidates of breaking election rules.

“He has no experience working with any parties and therefore will be completely neutral,” Nolan said. “To have an election director to call decisions right down the line ensures confidence in the process.”

He added that McGlashen”s organizational skills are another desirable characteristic.

The emergency meeting was called because MSA election code stipulates that an election director has to be named no later than 40 days before MSA elections. The elections will be held March 20 and 21, which means that the deadline for naming a director would have been tomorrow.

Nolan and MSA Vice President Jessica Cash proposed LSA senior Rob Shereda for the position on Feb. 3, but he was rejected by the Steering Committee.

MSA Student General Council John Carter said Shereda was dismissed because several members of the Steering Committee feared Nolan and Cash were making a biased selection. He said although these members did not attend the emergency meeting, they had previously showed signs of support for McGlashen.

During the regular MSA meeting, LSA representative Peter Apel tried to pass an amendment to the election code allowing MSA to wait until 32 days before the election to name the election director, but this proposal did not pass by the required margin of two-thirds.

LSA representative John Simpson said Apel brought up the amendment to give MSA an extra week to carefully deliberate before finally selecting a director.

MSA also passed a resolution in response to a Parking and Transportation Services proposal to monitor student parking lots 24 hours a day using Automatic Vehicle Identification, a small computer chip that can be placed on a car windshield. Cars without this chip would be restricted from the lots late at night.

The resolution specifically stated that students and their parents frequently use the parking lots after 6 p.m. Nolan said the resolution means that “were there ever to be any proposal to limit the access of (student) parking lots, we would oppose that.”

Engineering representative Elliot Wells-Reed said Parking and Transportation Services has already decided to postpone implementing the system until 2003. He stressed that the resolution does not oppose AVI technology, but only the idea of restricting student parking.