The Michigan Student Assembly last night approved funding to keep the Central Campus Recreation Building open until 1:30 a.m. on Sunday and Mondays during the months of January and February.

“Students don”t operate on a nine-to-five basis,” said Matt Nolan, MSA president and student member of the RecSports Advisory Committee. “We”ve heard from students consistently over the years that they want to be able to exercise later at night.”

The assembly will use $4,368 from one of its general funds for the project. Nolan said this will amount to 11 cents per student.

“If usership patterns increase we can take that to RecSports and make a case for having the hours changed on an extended basis,” Nolan said. “I think this is something students would want to see their money go for.”

Also concerning students is the fall break proposal, which was signed by interim Provost Lisa Tedesco. Tedesco will present the proposal at tomorrow”s University Board of Regents meeting.

Nolan encourages students to gather in the MSA chambers, 3909 Michigan Union, at 1 p.m. tomorrow before attending the regents meeting to demonstrate student support for a fall break.

Also at last night”s meeting, the assembly passed a resolution in opposition to changes to the bylaws of the Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics.

Student General Counsel John Carter said students and faculty feel the change is being pushed through at the end of University President Lee Bollinger”s tenure without outside input or explanation and students need to be aware of the changes that could occur if the Board is renamed an advisory committee.

“Bollinger”s current plan to rename it as an advisory board decreases the influence of students, faculty and staff on the athletic department,” Carter said.

The assembly also passed resolutions in support of increased child care services for students and striving for a sustainable university.

“The child care resolution asks for the University to build a new licensed child care facility for infants, a teen center, and after hours child care for graduate students, faculty and staff,” Rackham Rep. Suzanne Perkins-Hart said.

Perkins-Hart said the University currently has only four day care centers near campus serving about 200 children and none provide infant care.

“The demand for child care is greater than what the University provides by far,” Perkins-Hart said.

The second resolution, for a sustainable university, asks the administration to analyze and pursue ways of making students more ecologically conscious and facilities more environmentally friendly.

“This resolution is trying to get the University to become more ecologically responsible,” Environmental Issues Commission co-chair Tim Reynolds said.

LSA Rep. Rob Goodspeed, former co-chair of the Student Rights Commission, resigned his seat on the assembly last night citing that he believes he can better serve student interests outside MSA. Goodspeed said he plans “to continue to attend student rights committee meetings.”