Flamenco dance is a sight to behold. Ask almost anyone who is familiar with it and they explode in rushing torrent of superlatives describing the charm and sheer power of seeing live Flamenco dancing. It is a sensual dance based on the movements of toreadors. Fused with a violent and passionate energy, it thrusts forward with tremendous force and a stirring percussive precision. And yet, for the majority of U of M students, probably the only opening into the ever-blossoming world of flamenco is through the beginning scenes of “Mission Impossible:2” or perhaps “Strictly Ballroom.” This weekend provides an excellent opportunity to remedy this inexperience.

Antonio Mrquez, one of the foremost Flamenco dancers of our time, comes to Detroit”s Fox Theater on Sunday, bringing with him an array of highly accomplished dancers and musicians. The intensity of Sr. Mrquez”s interest in communication and in emotional impact is rather refreshing and enticing, especially when compared to the all too common modernist audience-trouncing veiled by esoteric, intellectual rhetoric that is expressed by many contemporary artists. This is a dance that stabs at your guts.

Dancing since childhood, Sr. Mrquez”s began his professional career with the Ballet Nacional de Espaa company later joining the Ballet Espaol de Madrid and the Ballet Region de Murcia. After forming his own dance company, the Compaa Espaola de Antonio Mrquez, Sr. Mrquez has been swiftly gaining international renown. Truly a master of his craft, he is well positioned to provide a thrilling performance.

Tickets ($20, $37.50 & $45) for Antonio Mrquez at the Fox Theater are now on sale and may be purchased at the Fox Theater and Joe Louis Arena box offices and Hockeytown Authentics in Troy (without service charge), and all Ticketmaster locations, including Marshall Field”s and Harmony House.