As her six-year-old son Sokia receives his fourth round of chemotherapy, Deborah Kelbert takes notice of the superior level of care he recieves at the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.

Kelbert said the staff makes an effort to always include rice, one of Sokia’s favorite foods, on its menu.

“They really care about the kids. They also treat the whole family,” she added.

Child Magazine has also noticed the hospital’s quality of care too. It ranked Mott as the fifth best pediatric care facility in the nation. Mott, the only hospital in Michigan to be named in the top 10, was ranked ninth in last year’s study. Top honors went to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Mott officials are pleased with the results.

“We have a commitment to continually improve, which is part of our culture,” said Patricia Warner, assistant hospital director.

“We don’t do that for the rankings. However, receiving national recognition for our excellence is energizing.”

Karen Cicero, senior editor of Child Magazine, cited Mott pediatric cardiology program, dialysis program, neuroblastoma research and emotional support services as reasons for Mott selection. “Mott has 50 support groups for patients and families, the most of any in the survey. They also distribute over 17,000 new books to patients through the giving library,” Cicero said.

“We are one of the best congenital heart children’s hospitals in the world,” Warner said.

Child Magazine investigated the estimated 100 full members of the National Association of Children’s Hospitals, then narrowed its search to 54 based on information provided by the Joint Commission of Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, an independent, non-profit organization.

The magazine then sent surveys to the hospitals, which were developed by a panel of pediatric healthcare professionals. “The survey itself was very comprehensive,” Warner said. She added that the survey focused on four major categories – clinical care, educational mission, research and patient and family support.

The panel then evaluated the data submitted and made the selections. Unlike similar rankings done in U.S. News and World Report – in which rankings are based on doctors’ evaluations – Child Magazine relies solely on the statistics from the surveys.

“The grading is based on data. There is no room for opinion,” Cicero said.

In the fiscal year 2002, Mott admitted a total of 8,462 children, and had more than 20,000 children visit the emergency room.

During the same year, the hospital saw more than 70,000 children in its many outpatient specialty clinics.