Reports surfaced over the weekend that Michigan sophomore point guard Darius Morris was ready to enter his name in the NBA Draft and forgo his junior and senior seasons at Michigan.

But Morris isn’t leaving the Wolverines — yet.

Michigan coach John Beilein announced Monday that Morris has submitted his name to the NBA’s Undergraduate Advisory Committee, a first step in what Beilein called an “information-gathering” process for the Los Angeles native.

Requesting an evaluation from the UAC is not binding in any way for potential early entrants to the NBA draft. By doing so, Morris will receive an assessment of his draft chances from the committee no later than April 18. The UAC will inform him whether he’d likely be a lottery pick (top 14), a first-round pick or a second-round pick.

Beilein also stressed that he initiated the process. He said he called Morris into his office shortly after Michigan’s season ended with its loss to Duke in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. After the consultation, the pair decided — along with Morris’s father Dewayne Sr. — to request a UAC evaluation.

“This is really a good issue to have,” Beilein said. “If we have these situations every year, where we have young men that have the possibility of being drafted, or most importantly (of) having a career in the NBA, these are good things to have.

“We all agreed that this was the best way to go about it … He will make decisions based on the information we get.”

After hearing back from the committee, Morris will have until April 24 to decide whether he wants to actually enter his name in the NBA draft.

If he puts his name in the draft, the 6-foot-4 guard will be able to go through the pre-draft evaluation process to gather more information about his potential landing spot. As long as Morris doesn’t hire an agent at any point, he can decide by June 13 — 10 days before the actual draft — to return to Ann Arbor for his junior season.

For his part, Beilein isn’t pushing his star point guard one way or the other.

“I will have given him (my) thoughts,” Beilein said. “But I stay pretty open-minded. There’s nothing we want more than to have Darius Morris have a career in the NBA … That’s something that we’ll work for, as we will hopefully with many more future players.”

Prevailing wisdom holds that if a player receives just a second-round grade, he should return to school — only first-round picks receive guaranteed contracts, and most second-rounders don’t end up playing consistently in the league.

But if Morris receives a favorable evaluation from the UAC, he will have a tough decision to make. Beilein wouldn’t say whether he would advise Morris to return to Michigan if he doesn’t garner a first-round grade.

“I think he’s a very bright young man with a great family, and I’m sure they’ll do what’s right,” Beilein said.

The coach also stressed that the goal isn’t just to get drafted — it’s to have a long career in the NBA. Many players have left early thinking that they’re ready for the pros — some even as high draft picks — only to flame out because they weren’t truly prepared for the rigors of the NBA.

It’s a situation the Wolverines encountered just last year when Beilein initiated a similar process with two players — guard Manny Harris and forward DeShawn Sims. Harris decided to leave one year early after the 2009-10 season. But Harris wasn’t drafted, leaving his professional basketball career in a perilous spot.

Luckily for Harris, he made it through camp with the Cleveland Cavaliers and has earned plenty of playing time in his rookie year.

But the uncertainty he faced is what Michigan is trying to avoid with Morris and any future potential early entrants. Another issue involved in Morris’s decision is a potential NBA lockout for next season, as the collective bargaining agreement between the league and Players’ Association expires this summer.

For now, Morris is in a holding pattern until he receives word back from the advisory committee — an evaluation Beilein said will stay confidential.

“I can’t predict (if Morris will leave),” Beilein said. “We’re gathering information. I don’t go there and study all of who’s coming out and who isn’t coming out, and I think that until that time, a lot will be determined on that. So I can’t predict that.”