On Tuesday night, members of the Daily’s Editorial Board gathered to watch the election coverage. This is a compilation of our (mostly disappointed) reactions to both the results and the process.

‘GET OUT THE’ ACCOUNTABILITY

So as to avoid misunderstandings, let me begin by saying hooray for democracy. Aside, however, I feel that allowing voters the option to vote for State Supreme Court Justices is gratuitous. It is nearly impossible for the public to be informed about these justices and even with the information, how can the people determine each person’s ability as a justice? All this voting option accomplishes is the encouragement of uninformed voting – to be blunt, voting by who has the “coolest” name. Appointing these justices would be much more beneficial to society and would allow the choice to rest in the hands of informed and familiar people.

Personally, I didn’t vote for these justices. Oh wait, I didn’t vote for anyone because Voice your Vote forgot to send my registration in time! Get out the vote? Start with not preventing it!

– Courtney Taymour

GEORGIANS CAN’T VOTE

I guess the people of my home state of Georgia really are a bunch of inbred, high school-dropout hicks sloshed on moonshine because nothing else could explain the election of Republican Saxby Chambliss for Senator over the incumbent Democrat Max Cleland. A man who ran a campaign based on so much hate for his respected opponent could only win in a state where the population is generally ignorant and blinded by ideologies like ultra-nationalism and right-wing Christianity.

Throughout the campaign, Chambliss challenged Cleland’s patriotism and dedication to his country because he didn’t always agree with Czar George II. Strange coming from Chambliss, his “bad knee” kept him out of service in Vietnam. Cleland, on the other hand, doesn’t have any knees and is missing one of his arms, because they were blown off during a raid in Vietnam. For a draft-dodger to accuse a crippled veteran of a lack of patriotism over political differences is, well, I’m speechless.

And the people of Georgia bought into it. For them, patriotism means killing Arabs and putting God in the classroom. To love one’s country has nothing to do with murder, and even if there was such thing as God, he/she would have some respect for veterans.

– Ari Paul

WHITE TUESDAY

Michigan’s meager electorate took to the polls Tuesday and once again managed to elect a slew of lily-white candidates to the state’s highest offices. I can’t say I’m too surprised. Here in the cradle of racial cooperation and understanding (metropolitan Detroit by another name) we like our leaders to talk big, but most of all we prefer them to look like us.

Two overly qualified minorities – University Board of Regents candidate Ismael Ahmed and Secretary of State aspirant Butch Hollowell – lost their races. Hollowell’s loss is inexplicable; his progressive pro-voter platform so far eclipsed his opponent’s the-lines-are-too-long agenda that the race shouldn’t even have been close. Ahmed epitomizes the character that the University ought to represent.

As long as most voters remain uninformed about the majority of the candidates they are voting for, we will have people using last names and appearances as criteria. And unfortunately for Ahmed and Hollowell, neither Arab nor black describes enough of us.

– John Honkala

TIME FOR STUDENTS TO END THE CYNICAL COMPLAINTS

As I sat playing political buzz-word bingo, watching election results, I listened to voters sit beside me and scoff at the pitfalls of our election process. I heard many of the same echoing complaints that annually accompany the swish of a poll curtain. Complaints about voter apathy: a disenfranchised electorate due to a two-party system that in reality is only one; politicians who don’t talk but merely offer sound bites and a media that does nothing but give conjecture and banal banter.

Perhaps these are the rantings of a na