3cb2fc884aee3-3-1

After meeting with several administrators from the Division of Kinesiology, Josh Moore is no longer a student at the University.

Michigan sophomore center Josh Moore won”t suit up against Northwestern tonight, or any other night. The University dismissed him yesterday for failing to meet its academic requirements. <br><br>DANNY MOLOSHOK/Daily

The Michigan Athletic Department announced his dismissal yesterday for “failure to meet the University”s academic requirements.”

“It”s disappointing,” Michigan coach Tommy Amaker said. “He”s bright, articulate and has a lot of qualities people would think are positive. It”s unfortunate that things haven”t worked out for him.”

While teammates are unsure of Moore”s future or if he”ll try to return to the Wolverines next fall, junior Gavin Groninger said that Moore has some other options available to him.”

“It”s a tough situation for him,” Groninger said. “But at least he”s got some other opportunities out there. He could transfer to another college or work out overseas. I don”t know.”

A herniated disk in his back dramatically limited Moore”s practice time in the first few months of the season, as the sophomore played in just three games, averaging 5.7 points and 11 minutes per contest.

In early December, Moore”s injury brought him to the end of his rope, and he said that he would speak with Amaker about a possible season-ending back surgery and a medical redshirt.

But Amaker didn”t need to make that choice. The new coach effectively ended Moore”s season on Dec. 22, when he declared the 7-foot-2 center academically ineligible and dismissed him from the team.

Moore played in 29 games for the Wolverines, averaging 4.6 points and 2.6 rebounds. His departure marks the eighth time in the past four years that a basketball player who signed with Michigan failed to finish his sophomore year.

Moore could not be reached for comment.