America is no stranger to social commentary. Immortal literary characters such as Babbitt and Willy Loman lost their way in person turmoil. “American Beauty” followed Lester Burnham to an Oscar. Six Figures isn”t quite in their class, but it comes awfully close.

Courtesy of Harcourt

Main character Warner Lutz is unhappy. In Boston and San Francisco, he was hailed as a visionary who could turn companies around. In Charlotte, he hasn”t found that magic. In fact, his job is in jeopardy, due to no fault of his own. To make matters worse, his daughter may have developmental problems, and his son is teething. He”s living life as a series of bad days.

His marriage is stressful, which has continued ever since their second child was born. Warner loves Megan, his wife, but often hates her at times. She once described him as “the most negative person I”ve ever met.” When Megan is attacked at her art gallery, it comes as a surprise only to Warner that he is the main suspect. Megan”s family, his own family and the readers by this time have drawn their own conclusions.

An award-winning writer, Leebron successfully manipulates his characters in a scathing critique of middle class life. Six Figures is in no way a straightforward tale of envy and family. The real pleasure is in following Warner through his own psyche, thanks to Leebron”s capacity for tapping into psychology and personal demons to make his characters real.