Now it’s waiting time.

It’s been two years since the Wolverines have seen the postseason. And with NCAA Selection Day just five days away, there is no telling what this postseason will hold.

Michigan (17-13 overall, 8-10 Big Ten) could be selected to the NCAA Tournament — though the likelihood of that is debatable. If they don’t make the field of the 64 best teams in the nation, they will probably receive an at-large bid to the Women’s National Invitation Tournament.

Either way, the Wolverines are excited at the possibility to play opponents from other conferences.

“I think our conference from top to bottom is so tough, day in and day out, that I think any one of us would relish a chance to play someone outside of it,” Michigan coach Kevin Borseth said following the team’s loss in the conference tournament. “We are waiting, hoping that we get an opportunity to do that.”

The Wolverines completed the regular season last week when they lost to second seed Michigan State 61-50 in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis.

A win over the Spartans would have almost certainly secured Michigan’s spot in the NCAA Tournament, but with the loss they remain squarely on the bubble.

Last year, five teams from the Big Ten were selected to the NCAA Tournament, the most since 2006. Minnesota (20-12, 11-7 before selection day last season) had the worst record of the conference’s tournament teams.

And the Wolverines, with 17 wins on the season, are seventh in the conference. But with five possible bids in the conference and only three teams – Ohio State, Michigan State and Wisconsin – sitting pretty going into selection day, it is likely that either Michigan, Iowa or Penn State will be celebrating come Monday.

Any one of those teams has a decent chance of making the tournament. Michigan swept Iowa early in the season before the Hawkeyes found success to end the season with 18 wins. Penn State started strong before losing eight of their final nine regular season games to end tying the Wolverines with 17 wins. The Nittany Lions split games with Michigan this season.

But even a WNIT bid would be an improvement for Michigan, a team that ended its season after a first-round loss in the Big Ten Tournament last year.

In the event of receiving a WNIT bid, Michigan will likely have a chance to play at home, something the Wolverines were able to take advantage of in their last postseason appearance when they advanced to the third round of the tournament two years ago before losing to Michigan State in East Lansing.

“We (played at home) a couple years ago,” senior center Krista Phillips said. “We want to do it again, to have a home-court advantage. We want to try to get a few more Ws before the season is over.”

Though Borseth has seen just one postseason appearance with the Wolverines, he’s no rookie to the NCAA or WNIT. In his nine years at Wisconsin-Green Bay, he took his team to the NCAA Tournament seven times and to the WNIT twice.

No matter which tournament they end up playing in, Borseth is more than capable of succeeding with such an inexperienced team — between all 13 players, just four of them have ever played a postseason game in their collegiate career.

“(This year) is a lot different,” sophomore forward Carmen Reynolds said. “It’s been a lot different. We are young, we have a lot of fun with each other and we get along great so we are just looking forward to what we have in store for the postseason.”