A decade after Mock Rock began, the student-athlete variety show is returning for yet another year to raise money for C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital and a local arts program for adolescents. The show will feature 19 athletic teams — the largest number in the program’s history — and is expected to raise at least $55,000 for charity.

Michigan football legend and Heisman trophy winner Desmond Howard will emcee the event.

The fundraiser, which will be held tonight at Hill Auditorium, is an annual event put on by the Student-Athlete Advisory Council that features the University’s varsity athletes competing in various talent competitions. At the end of the show, the audience will choose the winner by sending a text message with their votes.

Last year, the event raised around $40,000. This year’s goal is $80,000, and SAAC has raised about $55,000 so far, with the bulk of funds coming from sponsorships and personal donations. Tickets to the event are $10.

In past years, athletic teams would only sell tickets but now student-athletes are more actively participating in the fundraising process by collecting individual donations.

Laura Dunn, a Mock Rock co-chair and secretary of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council, said she is amazed at what the athletes have already accomplished.

“The athletes feel a certain connection to the event,” Dunn said. “The event is all about athletics and all about community.”

Dunn said she was proud of the program’s efforts to support the community.

“In this economic time it is especially difficult for people to reach into their pockets and help out,” she said.

About 800 people made personal donations for the event this year, she said.

“It shows everyone’s commitment to the cause and to the Michigan community,” she said.

Part of the proceeds — about $33,000 — will help revamp the new cancer floor at the Children’s Hospital. Another portion of the donations will be given to the Residential College-sponsored “Telling It” program, which uses the arts to promote literacy for children in high-risk situations in Washtenaw County.

Former University athletes will also judge the competition. The celebrity judges include former University athletes Peter Vanderkaay, an Olympic gold medalist swimmer, and former NBA player Jimmy King, as well as two-time field hockey Olympian Marcia Pankratz, a former University coach.

The show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the door, and doors open at 7 p.m. General admission tickets are $10 and premier seating is $15.